Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 64 Category: FlashFXP Bug
Title: Windows Vista & localized folder names Status: Closed (Fixed / Implemented)
Severity: Medium Version: 3.4.1 (Beta)

Whissi
09-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Windows Vista & localized folder names

Hello,

on Windows Vista, FlashFXP is displaying English folder names, instead of German ones (I installed and using the German MUI).

I think you don't use SHGetLocalizedName API. Please have a look

Thanks.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Re: Windows Vista & localized folder names

I am not entirely sure how adding this support will impact the overall behavior of FlashFXP, this is something that will need to be researched.

I was not aware of this new API, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-13-2007, 08:32 PM

From what I read and I could be wrong, I should be able to use SHGetFileInfo with the SHGFI_DISPLAYNAME flag to get the same result.

Currently the code uses GetDisplayNameOf() which doesn't have the same effect.

UPDATE: I tested this on vista and I guess it doesn't work after all.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-13-2007, 10:07 PM

I came across this post

Quote:
The official way to get a localized name for a folder is through the IShellItem::GetDisplayName or IShellFolder::GetDisplayNameOf method, it works on both pre-Vista and Vista systems. And, it works for all shell folders as well, include those non-file-sytem folders such as "Control Panel".
http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archiv...4.aspx#1736328 and based on that my current code should work, however I'm really puzzled as to why it doesn't.
Whissi
08-17-2008, 09:54 PM

*bump*

Anything new in this case?

The IShellItem::GetDisplayName or IShellFolder::GetDisplayNameOf method should work...

Another way should be ShGetFileInfo() with the "SHGFI_DISPLAYNAME" flag.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
08-18-2008, 02:24 PM

Sorry I haven't posted back to this ticket in awhile, I've been having a difficult time staying on top of everything.

You can give this beta release a try and see if it helps

http://download.flashfxp.com/beta/ffxp3.7.3.1277.zip
Whissi
08-18-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar
You can give this beta release a try and see if it helps

http://download.flashfxp.com/beta/ffxp3.7.3.1277.zip
Yeah, this build shows up the localized names.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-14-2008, 10:33 PM

It has come to my attention that an unexpected behavior has appeared due to this change.

When using SHGFI_DISPLAYNAME the result is formatted based on Windows > Folder Options > View settings. What this means for most people is that now filenames do not display their file extensions by default since this is the default windows behavior.

For most people it's very critical to see the file extensions by default and there's no way to override windows default and also display the localized name. Also the localized name is only used for display purposes, the actual name, the name that would be transferred by FlashFXP will always be the non localized name, so perhaps its better to just accept this and not use localization in the display.

As a result, I'm sorry to say this change must be reverted back to the original behavior.
Whissi
09-15-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar
For most people it's very critical to see the file extensions by default and there's no way to override windows default and also display the localized name. Also the localized name is only used for display purposes, the actual name, the name that would be transferred by FlashFXP will always be the non localized name, so perhaps its better to just accept this and not use localization in the display.

As a result, I'm sorry to say this change must be reverted back to the original behavior.
Sorry, but I don't understand that.

When it is critical to see the file extensions, I will activate that setting in windows. There is no case where I just want to see it in FlashFXP...

So where is the problem? If you roll back the changes, the "Explorer"-like interface is something, but not a explorer like interface, because it has it's own rules. Shouldn't it be better for users, if all there system settings would be represented in all applications with same controls? Think about the user experience.

Explain it in your help file. If there are users, who needs extensions, they might probably don't know, that windows can also display the extensions...

I suggest you to read the Windows Vista User Experience Guidelines. It's all about experience, and you are currently creating a new, different one just for FlashFXP.
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket