Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 109 Category: N/A
Title: Disk cache for download Status: Closed (Fixed / Implemented)
Severity: Major Version: N/A

dlb76
02-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Disk cache for download

Hi guys!

I really need such a feature to be done guys! Disk cache for download (Disk buffer for every download connection) to make it = 4MB or more.

In few words I explain why - It will fix my loud HDD in some very quiet environment.

Currently because of that I using FTPRush, but I really like FlashFXP to be used.

Thanks!
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Re: Disk cache for download

FlashFXP uses a 256KB buffer for downloads, We've tested numerous different sizes and have concluded that 256KB provides the best performance value. Using a buffer size of 4MB will not provide optimal speeds on a gigabit network. In fact the performance difference between 256KB and 4MB is about a 5MB/sec drop in transfer speed.

If we were to allow the user to change the buffer size and it were changed from 256KB to some other value the user would not have the best experience possible.

I understand that your concern is about disk activity and not performance.

I think the only viable solution at this point would be to add an advanced option that is set via the ini file, If this is something that would interest you let me know.

It would be something like this, where <value> is the disk buffer in KB, 4096 would give you a 4MB buffer.
DiskBuffer=<value>
dlb76
02-03-2008, 07:25 AM

That will be really nice! Thanks mate!
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-03-2008, 04:49 PM

I have added this feature into build 1232

To adjust this value add an entry under [main] as shown below

[main]
DiskBuffer=<value>

The <value> is the size in KB, a valid value is between 32 and 16384 (16MB)

default value is 256.

A large disk buffer will reduce the transfer performance on high speed networks.
dlb76
02-04-2008, 08:58 AM

Thats really cool! But where can I get it ?
dlb76
02-05-2008, 04:05 PM

Can I get a copy of that build please? So I can use this feature already. Thanks!
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-05-2008, 06:17 PM

This build hasn't been released yet, It will be posted to beta testers later today.

I've made you a beta tester so that you'll have access to download and test the changes.
dlb76
02-06-2008, 10:02 AM

Appreciate it.
loopex
02-09-2008, 04:50 AM
update only

it would be very nice if "Complete List of .ini only settings" being updated so we have all
Advanced hidden .ini settings at the same location. seems like the old list are posted -02 and updated by Bigstar -03.

changes between -03 to -08 ?

please update.

Complete List of .ini only settings
http://www.flashfxp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=982

Thank You
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-09-2008, 02:33 PM

The complete list will be found in the help file, I will no longer be maintaining the forum post with the ini only settings.