Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 111 Category: General / Unknown
Title: Major Bug when deleting and site looses connection Status: Closed (Fixed / Implemented)
Severity: Major Version: 3.5.3 (3.6 RC 3)

alanhbiron
02-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Major Bug when deleting and site looses connection

Flashfxp was left idle for a short while, I went to delete the folder /public_html/videoclips, status window showed that the connection was lost and attempted to reconnect. When it reconnected it deleted all the files in /public_html and not the folder videoclips like I selected, I lost critical files that weren't backed up, my fault that they weren't backed up, but hopefully you can correct this so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Even if when it reconnects it just does nothing, is a lot better than deleting the wrong files.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Re: Major Bug when deleting and site looses connection

Do you have directory caching enabled for this specific site?
Were you deleting the folder via the file list or the folder tree?

I conducted 50+ tests trying every possible combination that I could think of as well as disconnecting the site at various points during the delete routine and I was not able to reproduce this behavior.

Unfortunately we don't have a ftp session log, which would of been ideal to determine exactly what and where things went wrong.

By chance do you recall specifically where the disconnect occurred?
alanhbiron
02-06-2008, 03:42 PM

Settings are all default. I checked the settings for the site, the cache directory box is filled in.

i never disconnected the site, almost like it idled too long and lost connection, but didn't show it lost connection until i tried to perform a task.

I was viewing the folder /public_html, highlighted the directory videoclips, then hit delete, it then showed connection was dropped, it reconnected then deleted the files in /public_html but not the folders there.

i'd say just try letting it idke fir various periods of time, not sure how long it takes for a site to drop connection, then try deleting a folder like i did, and if there are other files in the root hopefully you will see the same result
DayCuts
02-07-2008, 12:03 PM

The only way to attemp to delete after the connection is lost for most people is to have caching enabled, otherwise the list is empty and you can not even try. However, you should confirm if you are using caching or not, because the way you described it sounds like the server (or a fw/router/whatever... or even a burp in your internet connection) caused the connection to the ftp to be dropped without flashfxp's knowledge. Because of this the listing was not cleared, and flashfxp only noticed the link was lost when it tried to do something.

Such an occurance is not the easiest thing to reproduce, but it sounds like somehow because of the weird loss of connection flashfxp was unable to correctly fill the deletion root variable (as list was cleared when it tried and noticed connection was lost) and continued with file deletion relevent to the path it returned to after the auto reconnect.

I'm not sure a log would have even shown anything other than the loss of connection and intended reconnection (it would just be missing the procedure to enter 'videoclips')
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-07-2008, 12:57 PM

While almost unlikely I did find one possible theory and it's really a long shot.

In order for this theory to work you must have the folder tree enabled, if you didn't then its not possible for this to cause your problem.

The problem I found was that if the connection idles out and disconnects, then while disconnected you attempt to delete, flashfxp starts to perform the reconnect, now while the reconnect is in progress you change focus from the file list to the folder tree before the connection completes, now flashfxp thinks the delete is supposed to occur from the selected folder tree..

I've added code to the next build to prevent this from happening.
alanhbiron
02-07-2008, 09:52 PM

perfect, really just didn't want this to happen to anyone else who may lose files that they could not recreate.

Thanks