Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 103 Category: General / Unknown
Title: FlashFXP does not store sites when UAC enabled (vista) Status: Closed (Discarded)
Severity: Major Version: 3.5.3 (3.6 RC 3)

krabat
01-23-2008, 08:41 AM
FlashFXP does not store sites when UAC enabled (vista)

My brother downloaded and installed 3.6RC3 on his vista home premium yesterday.
He added several sites in the site manager and all looked well until he quit the program.
When the program started next time all the sites he had entered was not there anymore
(site list was empty).
He tried this a couple of times with the same result.
He then switched off UAC and the problem was gone.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
01-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Re: FlashFXP does not store sites when UAC enabled (vista)

More than likely this problem is occuring because your user account doesn't have write permission to the data files. You either need to give your user account the proper file permissions or re-install FlashFXP and select a location for the data files where your user account has the proper file permissions.

This problem occurs more often than not when you've used a previous FlashFXP beta installer that let you install FlashFXP with default settings that were not vista friendly. (i.e. FlashFXP v3.6 RC1)

When installing FlashFXP you need to make sure that your data folder has read and write access. The best way to know this is to set your data folder to the recommended windows location, the user application data folder.

The following thread has an demo video showing how to install FlashFXP and make sure it's storing the data files in your application data folder.

http://www.flashfxp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12958

You can check the location of your FlashFXP data folder from Within FlashFXP, from the menu > Help > About > Details tab
krabat
01-24-2008, 08:52 AM

I agree that the problem is a not-write-permission problem. I checked with my brother the access rights to the data folder. With UAC on the installer runs with user privileges (unless started with Run-As-Administrator), while with UAC off the program runs with admin rights (because the logged on user is a member of the Administrators group) so there are no problems.
My brother had tried an earlier version prior to this latest version.
It would improve FlashFXP if it had reported that it was not able to (create the data folder and) write the settings file, and tell why and how to correct the situation.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
01-24-2008, 02:20 PM

The current installer provided with v3.6 RC3 should always prompt to run as administrator when UAC is enabled. Part of the problem is that previous RC releases ran as user and not administrator and this caused some problems.

Since the installer runs as administrator it has full access, it doesn't know which folders a specific user does or doesn't have access to.

The problem with performing this check in FlashFXP is that some of our customers, prefer to lock the data files as read-only so that only the manager can update or add sites to the site manager.

We do however display a warning if there is a read permission error.
krabat
01-25-2008, 02:54 AM

When installing and there are no config/site files from before, FlashFXP should give a warning when it cannot create these (but this will probably be a non-existing problem if FlashFXP tells the user that the installer will only run if run-as-administrator when UAC is on).
Also, I see no problem in getting a warning that a newly added site cannot be saved in the case that a site admin has blocked write access the FlashFXP data folder.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
02-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Yes our installer requires administrator to install and it shouldn't be allowed to run any other way. I'm really not sure how you managed to install FlashFXP any other way.

The way the data files are saved isn't tied directly with adding a new site entry, so we couldn't do this way. Also simply checking for global read-only access isn't enough because in this situation it's a file permission error based on the current user and I've been trying to test this type of checking the results haven't been completely reliable, so until I come up with a perfect way of warning the user and checking the file permissions this is on hold, but I will eventually do something about it.