Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 549 Category: FlashFXP Bug
Title: No sent commands shown in Status window when SFTP over SSH Status: Closed (Not a bug)
Severity: Medium Version: 4.0

Megodin
09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
No sent commands shown in Status window when SFTP over SSH

Hello,

I noticed a reproducable Bug in latest (evaluation) Version of FlashFXP (4.0.0 build 1548):

This bug only occurs when connecting to sites using Connection Type "SFTP over SSH":
After connecting, in the Status Window all responses from the server are shown, but NOT the commands sent to the server - for example no "LIST", "FEAT" commands sent to the server are shown in the status window, and there is NO option to set them visible.

This bug is annoying - e.g. in my case, when transferring text files (with different extensions) from a unix system to a Windows machine, i cannot check whether "ASCII" or "BIN" commands are sent (in auto mode)...

When connecting to FTP servers using different protocol (FTP etc.), all commands sent are shown in black color in the status window - as it should be.

Please have a look at that.
If you need more information or screenshots, contact me.

Thanks in advance,
Megodin
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Re: No sent commands shown in Status window when SFTP over SSH

There is no similarity or relationship between FTP and SFTP. Therefore, concepts such as "transfer mode" that exist in FTP do not exist with SFTP and this is why the commands are not shown in the status window.

Further more when performing SFTP transfers all files are transferred as binary. It wasn't until recently that the SFTP protocol implemented a method of transferring files in ASCII mode, this mode is currently unsupported by FlashFXP.

The reason it's currently unsupported is because during testing we encountered some compatibility issues, not all servers implementing the latest version of SFTP support the ASCII mode extension and the ones that do have given us unpredictable results.

We've looked into an alternative solution of implementing ASCII mode entirely client side handling the conversion for uploads and downloads automatically on the fly but the performance was quite disappointing.

We may implement ASCII mode transfers for SFTP in future releases, but at the moment its on hold.
Megodin
09-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Thanks for your quick reply and thanks for clarification about SFTP protocols.

May I re-ask you for the initial point of my "bug report":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megodin
This bug only occurs when connecting to sites using Connection Type "SFTP over SSH":
After connecting, in the Status Window all responses from the server are shown, but NOT the commands sent to the server - for example no "LIST", "FEAT" commands sent to the server are shown in the status window, and there is NO option to set them visible.

Is there a possiblity to show the commands which are actually SENT to the server in the status window, e.g. when I do a "LIST" request or GET FILE" and so on? Currently ONLY the response from the server is shown...

Thanks for your reply,
Megodin
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Each command typically displays two status messages.

The first status message is shown when the command starts and the second when the command finishes.

For example with List the following can be observed in the status window.
  • Retrieving file list...
  • List Complete: 8 KB in 0.16 seconds (8.3 KB/s)

And here's the status messages shown for a download
  • Downloading: /home/website/public_html/index.php
  • Transferred: index.php 10 KB in 0.18 seconds (10.5 KB/s)

Since SFTP uses non-printable text for commands and replies we have substituted the typical text shown during a FTP transfer with simple easy to read replies.

What type of additional information would you like to see?