Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 379 Category: FlashFXP Bug
Title: Per user settings not working Status: Closed (Fixed / Implemented)
Severity: Critical Version: N/A

DesktopMan
09-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Per user settings not working

I installed 4.0 RC 2 on Windows 7 32bit with per user settings, and the settings do not save. If I try to create a site it says:

Note that this is actually the path used for *all users* setting. A FlashFXP profile is indeed created here, even though I'd expect it not to, as the profile should be in the user's appdata folder instead.

On removal FlashFXP asks if I want to remove the files stored in "c:\ProgramData...", even though this is not where the profile is supposed to be stored. The uninstaller successfully removes this folder...

I tested a single profile for all users and that works as expected.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Re: Per user settings not working

In the installer on the "ready to install" screen what does it say for your settings folder location?

I tested the installer under Windows 7 64bit and when selecting the per-user installation it installed FlashFXP with the correct settings and I was not able to reproduce this error.

If you could install FlashFXP and then run regedit and navigate to

On Windows 7 32bit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FlashFXP\4\

On Windows 7 64bit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\FlashFXP\4 \

Export the settings and include them in your reply.
DesktopMan
09-21-2010, 03:29 PM

This might be an issue with non-english Windows, as my work computer runs W7 Norwegian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar
In the installer on the "ready to install" screen what does it say for your settings folder location?
I uninstalled the previous version I had installed as "all users" to test again, and now it behaves differently. The locations are now:

Install:
c:\program files\FlashFXP 4 (which is wrong, c:\programfiler is correct)

Settings:
c:\users\<user>\appdata\roaming\flashfxp\4 (also wrong, it's c:\brukere\...)

I installed it anyway and the paths above were *not* used, rather c:\programfiler and c:\brukere as it should be. Is this windows auto mapping translated paths I wonder? I haven't used a localized version of Windows in many years so I'm not sure what has changed in that regard.

Quote:
If you could install FlashFXP and then run regedit and navigate to

On Windows 7 32bit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FlashFXP\4\

On Windows 7 64bit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\FlashFXP\4 \

Export the settings and include them in your reply.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FlashFXP\4]
"DesktopShortcut"="0"
"StartMenuShortcut"="1"
"QuickLaunchShortcut"="0"
"DataVersion"=dword:00000001
"AllUsers"=dword:00000000
"Install Path"="C:\\Program Files\\FlashFXP 4"
"InstallerDathPath"="C:\\ProgramData\\FlashFXP \\4"
"InstallerDataPath"="%AppData%\\FlashFXP"
"AppData"=dword:00000001

Note the complete mix of English paths, Norwegian paths and generic (%AppData%) paths. Double entries for InstallerDataPath although I'm not sure if that's intentional.

From my testing it actually works with per user settings now, so installing with all users first has changed something. I can't identify what. It's not a fluke as I tried installing and uninstalling as per user several times before I gave up. That and I didn't make up the screenshot :P
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Windows localization starting with windows Vista I believe does map the locale translation to the actual native wording and it can be quite confusing because of how the mapping works, the program folder name is retrieved by windows, but depending on the parameters passed by the installer it might return the native name or the translated wording, they both point to the same location but it depends on the content its being used.

I'm glad to hear its working for you now