Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 636 Category: FlashFXP Bug
Title: Desctop is not root Parent directory Status: Closed
Severity: Minor Version: 4.1 stable

NeoN_Roma
01-07-2012, 05:53 AM
Desctop is not root Parent directory

Desktop is not appear to be the root directory.
If I want to get parent of My Computer and click "Parent directory" or Backspace nothing happens.
If I want to get parent of Libraries or some folder stored on the desktop I find myself in "C:\Users\<user name>\Desktop".
By the way desktop always appear like "C:\Users\<user name>\Desktop" but not root directory
01-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Re: Desctop is not root Parent directory

On windows there are multiple desktops and this can cause some problems depending on the situation and configuration.

Take for instance Windows 7 with user account control enabled.

The actual user desktop is comprised of two separate locations combined into one.

C:\Users\Public\Desktop\ <- User permissions are read only.
C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\ <- User permissions are read and write.

If we don't specifically define the desktop as C:\Users\<user>\Desktop\ the user would not be able to download files to their desktop. The way that Windows file explorer handles multiple folders merged as a single view is rather complex and attempting to re-create and emulate the behavior and logic is quite a challenge.

Alternatively we could have used an embedded copy of windows file browser control directly within FlashFXP but then this has its own pros and cons, as well as limitations.

I am going to classify this as a limitation by design for the purpose of functionality. Many customers want to be able to download directly to their desktop and this is the only way that we can allow it.