Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 700 Category: General / Unknown
Title: Full UTF-8 support Status: Pending (Under Review)
Severity: Minor Version: 4.x

tr33ks
04-23-2012, 04:10 AM
Full UTF-8 support

Good day.

Is there any chance to get fully functional UTF-8? It's hard to find the ftp-client nowadays, that doesn't support cyrillic filenames in UTF-8. When i purchased FlashFXP i thought that it would support this soon, but after a year you are on the same point, that's sad. It's very annoying to use free Filezilla, because the program i paid for doesn't understand cyrillic.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Re: Full UTF-8 support

We're working on it; but it's very difficult and extremely frustrating situation.

We hope to provide Unicode and full UTF-8 support.

In order for us to provide full UTF-8 support we must first implement Unicode in our controls.

We've tried dozens of possible solutions and thus we've been unable to find anything that will work. We've also attempted to create our own Unicode controls but due to a lack of understanding and not fully understanding every underlying API it has become quite a challenge.

Quite honestly I had hoped to have all of this figured out and working over a year ago but the solution I had planned on using did not work as intended and was a major set back.

At the moment I am wasting many hours on a solution, I typically spend 20/hours a week working on possible solutions and/or investigating new possible solutions.

I believe that by not support Unicode we are missing out on a huge market share and I am very determined to get Unicode supported.

However I will not put the integrity of FlashFXP at risk to do so, Many of the Unicode solutions that I have tested are unreliable/unstable and result in random failures/crashes.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
04-29-2012, 09:08 AM

My current goal is to update the compiler software used to create FlashFXP, this will allow me to use newer Unicode controls that aren't supported by the existing compiler.

I plan to start the process within the next 30-days and branch FlashFXP to the new compiler, I hope to have a new version of FlashFXP utilizing the new compiler ready for testing within 60-days.
tr33ks
05-02-2012, 04:32 AM

Thanks for update.
Hope you find a solution for this problem.
SamKook
05-03-2012, 11:33 AM

I also really appreciate the update.

I've been waiting for a while to buy it, but with such promising news and after having had many corruption problems with the other software I was using(which FlashFXP handles marvelously) I'll probably buy it in the next few days.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
05-08-2012, 11:18 AM

I have successfully converted and migrated the current FlashFXP source code to a newer compiler.

The new compiler allows me to use Unicode enabled controls.

I will need to update and replace all existing user interface controls with new Unicode controls and then work on properly handling Unicode in the backend.

This will consist of two major tasks.

1. Updating the translation system and language db to UTF8 and performing UTF8 <> Unicode conversion on all text. Text will be stored in UTF8 and converted to Unicode for display purposes.

2. Updating the ftp/sftp engines to correctly handle, return, and parse UTF8 text, the UI will then convert from UTF8 for display purposes.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
05-17-2012, 09:54 AM

Status update

Application user interface is now 75% complete.
uniocde text input and rendering.

Behind the scenes ansistring :: utf8 :: unicode conversion handling and data management is now 50% complete.
Converting uniocde to/from utf8 when loading,saving,and rendering.

Sftp and ftp engine handling of utf8 is now 70% complete.

Sftp and ftp engine utf8 to locale character conversion is 0% complete.
This is to handle servers that don't support utf8.

Translation database conversion and backend 5% complete.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
06-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Status update, almost everything is completed.

Everything is now 99% functional with the exception of the internal text editor and the server directory cache system.

I realized that its not as easy as one would think to implement a simple text editor that supports ANSI, UTF-8, and UTF-16 from the ground up. Detecting the correct character encoding and file format has become quite a challenge. If a UTF-8 file is detected as ANSI and the user unknowingly saving the file certain characters and data can be lost.

Getting this to work flawlessly might be a royal pain but for those who use the internal editor it will be worth it.

The server directory cache system required a complete rewrite, most of it is done, however I still need to design and implement a method of relocating cached folders from memory to physical disk storage. The original cache system stored each folder as an individual file and I would prefer to use a single file storage system for optimal performance, provided I can come up with a reliable and viable solution.

I think thus far the biggest challenge has been dealing with severs that indicate UTF-8 support but then send the text/directory content as raw ASCII instead of UTF-8. Even though this is perfectly acceptable as defined by the RFC. It just adds additional overhead that in my opinion could be avoided if everything was UTF-8 encoded.
msg7086
06-24-2012, 04:40 AM

Mark. That's good news.
tr33ks
09-17-2012, 07:11 AM

Hi.
Is there any updates of this problem?
X3
09-17-2012, 08:05 AM

The last update regarding this, is here
10-07-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3
The last update regarding this, is here
That link doesn't seem to be valid anymore or it's out of our mere mortal reach.

Any chance of knowing what it said?
X3
10-08-2012, 02:35 AM

link works but I had to login?? that's odd, Im also a mere mortal so idk.

http://www.flashfxp.com/forum/flashf...html#post81973

Again if you are redirected to login, and login links work, perhpas something wrong with forum or its purposeful, idk. Either way here is a quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
Due to a rather crazy/busy summer and a lack of interest from beta testers I have put a hold on a v5, trying to fix bugs in v4 and/or v5 and then porting the changes over has become more work than the fixes.

Due to all of the major changes in v5 for Unicode back-porting changes to v4 is next to impossible, porting v4 bug fixes to v5 is slightly easier but only if I use the previous v4 commit as a reference and then manually apply the changes, but either way its still lots of work.

When I started v5 I had hoped that v4 could be put on hold while I worked on v5 but some unexpected bugs in v4 have prevented that from happening.

I will probably resume my work on Unicode sometime next month assuming we have enough beta testers.
**edit to view links in BETA testing subforum, you have to be a beta tester. SO no error in forum with redirection. Since on here (bug reporting forum) there is no way to tell who is what... so never mind?!
10-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3
**edit to view links in BETA testing subforum, you have to be a beta tester. SO no error in forum with redirection. Since on here (bug reporting forum) there is no way to tell who is what... so never mind?!
How to be a beta tester?
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
03-26-2013, 01:40 PM

We currently have an alpha release of v5.0 available to registered users, if you'd like to become a beta tester please send me a private message and I will add you,
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket