Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 263 Category: N/A
Title: Suggestions/Bugs Status: Pending (Under Review)
Severity: Minor Version: N/A

greek
03-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Suggestions/Bugs

Although I haven't installed the beta I believe FlashFXP 3.6.0 misses the following features that I list in order of importance:

- I currently cannot upload/download some files with accents or some characters, like japanese characters.

- When I upload documents and then upload again the same documents, FlashFXP skips all the files when both have the same file size...while it should upload only the updated ones. This is a critical problem, because I usually upload many files and need to get reuploaded only the changed files after making changes to some of them and FlashFXP fails to see which are different, which is very time consuming to correct as I have to reupload everything from the beginning after deleting the previously uploaded files.

- The download/upload speed is extremely slow compared to downloading/uploading the same file with another programme, like Getright. When Getright downloads from a slow site at 100 KB/s, FlashFXP does download the same file at only 20-30 KB/s maximum. The speed is a critical issue.

- When synchronizing with an ftp site, I would like to have a list with only the files that have been uploaded/downloaded and not having to browse a very long list containing both skipped and transfered files. It would be also nice if one could click on a file on the new files list to open it, so it would be better if this list had links or clickable objects.

- When I download files from an ftp site there is no way to see immediately which files have been downloaded now and which ones had been downloaded at another time.

- I cannot browse an ftp site while the download is in progress. I would like to have that feature.

- I would like to have skins for the interface.

I hope this programme will continue to be the best ftp programme.
Super Duper
MxxCon
03-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Re: Suggestions/Bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirinitomprou
- When I upload documents and then upload again the same documents, FlashFXP skips all the files when both have the same file size...while it should upload only the updated ones. This is a critical problem, because I usually upload many files and need to get reuploaded only the changed files after making changes to some of them and FlashFXP fails to see which are different, which is very time consuming to correct as I have to reupload everything from the beginning after deleting the previously uploaded files.
if you modify a local file but it retains exactly the same size, how does flashfxp supposed to know that this file is different from a remote file of exactly the same size?
looking at a local modify date is pointless because you have nothing to compare it against.

Quote:
- The download/upload speed is extremely slow compared to downloading/uploading the same file with another programme, like Getright. When Getright downloads from a slow site at 100 KB/s, FlashFXP does download the same file at only 20-30 KB/s maximum. The speed is a critical issue.
tune tcp buffer sizes.

Quote:
- When I download files from an ftp site there is no way to see immediately which files have been downloaded now and which ones had been downloaded at another time.
look at files modified date. it'll be different.

Quote:
- I cannot browse an ftp site while the download is in progress. I would like to have that feature.
this topic have been covered many times already. search the forum.

Quote:
already exist.
03-22-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxxCon
if you modify a local file but it retains exactly the same size, how does flashfxp supposed to know that this file is different from a remote file of exactly the same size?
I am not a developper to know that but there is nothing more dissapointing than using a programme that can do so much but still is unable to compare two files to see that they are in fact different even if they have the same file size, resulting in that file being skipped while at the same time sees some completely identical files as different and keeps renaming them and redownloading them every time when it should skip them based on the rules set...

Quote:
tune tcp buffer sizes.
IMHO the programme should autotune correctly.

Quote:
look at files modified date. it'll be different.
This is simply impossible when there are hundreds of directories and subdirectories and files.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
03-23-2009, 12:38 AM

- I currently cannot upload/download some files with accents or some characters, like japanese characters.
FlashFXP doesn't fully support UTF-8 text for filenames. Its very difficult to support UTF-8 and maintain backwards compatibly with older versions of Windows. I plan to improve UTF-8 in the future.

v3.6 only supports transfer rules for evaluating the file based on size. We're only able to compare the file based on attributes, the base attribute to compare a file with is by size. Purely based on the context that the size will always be accurate.

In the near future support for comparing by date will be added, however it will be more suited for SFTP servers than FTP servers because FTP is a mess with standards and certain FTP servers are more limited than others.

There have been many improvements to transfer speed in the newer versions, but the main factor is the "TCP/IP Buffer size" setting and adjusting it wrong can hurt performance. I've never seen a way to auto adjust this based on the current conditions if you know of a way to do this, I'd be interested in seeing it.

- When synchronizing with an ftp site, I would like to have a list with only the files that have been uploaded/downloaded and not having to browse a very long list containing both skipped and transfered files. It would be also nice if one could click on a file on the new files list to open it, so it would be better if this list had links or clickable objects.

We may consider this for the future, but there are no current plans for this.

It would be too memory consuming to keep track of all the files that may have been transferred for the current session.

I'm not sure if v3.6 supports it, but the newer beta releases allow you to browse cached folders during file transfers. You can also open multiple copies of FlashFXP browse with one copy and transfer with the other, by that I mean drag/drop queue items from one queue to the other. One as the browser and the other for transferring files.

The latest beta allows you to change toolbar themes and buttons, though we only have a limited number available, we hope to get more people creating them.
greek
03-23-2009, 04:26 AM

Two more suggestions for future development.

- A powerful scheduler, enabling users to schedule repeating transfers and synchorinisations, automating daily, weekly, and other tasks.

- A new FlashFXP along with the current FlashFXP, named FlashFXP Professional, or FlashFXP Enterprise or FlashFXP Suite, targeting businesses and meeting business needs.
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket