Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 548 Category: Functionality
Title: Use the Windows certification store Status: Open
Severity: Medium Version: 4.x

Whissi
08-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Use the Windows certification store

Hi,

I would like to see FlashFXP using the Windows certificate store instead of using it own certificate store.

Pro:
  • Secure storage - the certificate store is more secure than your current file store
  • Windows certificate store is up to date and keeps up to date
  • One place for your certificates
  • Manageable by administrators (e.g. GPOs)
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
08-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Re: Use the Windows certification store

There are a couple of reasons we use our own storage over windows certificate storage.

1. Many FTP clients simply link directly to the individual certificate files stored in separate files and its much more practical to have these files stored and loaded directly within FlashFXP.

2. Its very difficult to rely on windows certificate storage with our portable edition, an external solution is required.

3. We use OpenSSL and its very difficult to use windows certificate storage with it. In addition to dealing with password protected private certificates. Storing the private password to load the certificate within FlashFXP would defeat any additional security provided by windows certificate storage.

4. Juggling multiple certificate storage implementations would add additional complexity and overhead.

I'm not saying that we have no plans to use windows certificate storage, anything is possible, but there doesn't seem to be any major advantages to it over our current implementation.
Whissi
08-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Re: Use the Windows certification store

OK, I understand your points.

Do you currently check CRLs? Also for accepted certificates?

Another way would be:
Give us a way to manage the current certificate store. For example, I want to install CAs that I trust. I expect that I won't get any prompts from FlashFXP when I connect to a server, which will use a certificate signed by the trusted CA as long as it's valid/there isn't a problem.