Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 911 Category: Functionality
Title: Sorting/Ignoring queue files Status: Open
Severity: Minor Version: 4.x

andreas
10-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Sorting/Ignoring queue files

User should be able to apply a pattern to the current queue in order to do various actions.

For example:

All files that match "*."pdf" should be marked as failed, not downloaded (and remain to the queue)
All files that match "*."pdf" should be ignored (and be deleted from the list)
All files that are larger than "50 MB" should be put at the bottom of the list

More than 1 rule can be applied to the current queue, in order to create combines file sorting
Rules must be saved in the queue, so when flashfxp is restarted/stopped can keep the settings for the same queue
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
10-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Re: Sorting/Ignoring queue files

Currently there is no way to give priority to a file based on size or auto sort based on a custom order (items added into the queue follow the sort order of the file listing), while this sounds like a novel idea I am not sure how practical it would be.

You can skip or transfer a set of file/folder masks using the selective transfer rules feature.

This is a rather obscure feature that is often overlooked and is somewhat difficult to explain.

Awhile back I attempted to make a diagram of how this feature can be used, though I am not sure if it makes much sense?

andreas
10-22-2013, 03:32 PM

By using these actions , I can only transfer or skip them.
I cannot move them top/bottom of the current queue
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
10-23-2013, 08:40 AM

I am fairly sure I misunderstood your original post.

When you stated you wanted to skip or ignore files in the queue I was thinking that you wanted to literally skip them (not transfer), but after re-reading your post I think you were referring only applying the sorting rules based on the pattern.

In which case please disregard my previous reply.

While your idea sounds interesting I am not sure if it would be practical to attempt to sort a queue based on a set of user defined rules.
DayCuts
04-09-2014, 01:12 AM

I don't really see this as a largely practical feature for this type of application, however in terms of implementation many other applications (p2p mostly) offer this feature using a priority system. This works by assigning priority levels to each item in the queue (sub items inherit) of for example Low Medium High Paused (and extremes and inbetweens etc) then the application will process the transfer requests in order of Priority>Queue. Many such applications offer options to autoset priority based on things like name/ext mask and size where the equivalent of pause for flashfxp would be marking as failed.

This could be an extention of the already present Priority List filter. This feature already currently queues according to the order the mask is in the list so such a feature could be implemented in flashfxp with the addition of non-mask based priority items (eg size). With additional general options for the priority list such as 'move small files to top: [size]', 'move large files to bottom: [size]', etc. Both selective transfer and skip list offer means to skip files already and auto marketing them as failed could be done with a 'mark failed instead of skipping' option under Skip List but that is more complex than it seems (due to features like reset and retry transfers etc).

Alternatively the file transfer rules feature could be 'extended' to offer more actions such as 'move to top', 'mark failed' or 'skip' and more comparison options such as 'Size is larger than [insert value]' or 'mask' but these fall outside of the 'if destination file' scope that the feature currently uses. This method would also duplicate certain features across multiple parts of the application (eg too many places to do the same thing such as skip a file based on mask).

I can see no real way of integrating such a feature intuitively without a revamp of multiple separate features, possibly into a single combined dialog (file transfer rules, skip list, priority list, selective transfer are all implicated and relevant). Some minor options could be added without major work but the features you describe are those of a p2p style priority system that just isn't a real fit for this type of application. For example, why would you skip a file based solely on its size anyway? Maybe some practical usage examples would help?
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket