Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 287 Category: General / Unknown
Title: UNC path support in local pane Status: Closed
Severity: Medium Version: 4.x

Telcontar
06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
UNC path support in local pane

I have an Explorer window open on another computer, using a UNC path. If I drag a file from that window into FlashFXP's remote pane, FlashFXP thinks for a few seconds, and then plays the transfer complete sound, but no file is transferred.

The problem is that the local pane can't do UNC paths, and it doesn't understand what to do when presented with one.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
06-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Re: UNC path support in local pane

I tested this and wasn't able to reproduce the issue you experienced.

I've used UNC paths with FlashFXP for as long as I can remember and never once had any issues with it.

Perhaps there is something specific to your system setup thats not playing nice with FlashFXP, I really can't explain why its not working.
Telcontar
06-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Interesting. It's a Mac OS X Tiger machine. I'll have to go back and try again -- it just looked like the path parser was staring blankly at a malformed path.

There is in fact an infinite path loop if you were trying to scan subfolders, as something is presenting a folder with no name, whose children -- according to Explorer -- are the same as the parent, leading to an infinite loop. That might be upsetting your directory structure checker somewhere causing it to bail out and die.

Anyway, I'll check back later and try the old Mac and my laptop.

[Edit: Sorry -- per the linked page, I'm in OS 9 not X ;-) Forgot.]
Telcontar
06-26-2009, 06:26 PM

I guess I'll put this down to a weird issue with the DAVE SMB service for OS 9. I tried with my old OS 9 machine, entering "\\firetrack" into the local pane address bar, and FlashFXP replaced that with "pwnage (firetrack)" which is the machine's description. No files came up. I guess with Kseniya, the description field must be empty.

I also set a second, duplicate "Workgroup" appear under My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network in the local pane that doesn't expand to anything.

I don't get the UNC path replaced with the description for my WinXP laptop.

If I expand the correct Workgroup I can browse around the Mac just fine. However, there's a conflict with sending UNC paths from FlashFXP to DAVE somewhere.

Unless this rings any bells, may as well write this one off, as it's too obscure. I just discovered it when trying to upload a file on my Mac's desktop straight to the Web using the PC's FTP by dragging it from an Explorer window open on the Mac, into FlashFXP's remote pane. I thought it had gone up, as I got the "upload complete" sound, but the file never appeared on the server.

Weird :P
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
07-02-2009, 01:47 PM

I don't have a Mac that I can use to test that, However if it works in Windows it should work the same in FlashFXP. The local browser is a clone of windows explorer and it uses windows API to reproduce the behavior.

I'm really not sure why the server name would be replaced by the computer description, that doesn't happen with normal window shares.