Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 1047 Category: Functionality
Title: Compare root folder content Status: Closed
Severity: Minor Version: 5.x

blixten
06-03-2015, 04:46 AM
Compare root folder content

I don't know if this has been asked before. But what i want is to compare two root folders, one local and one remote.
For example:

root folder A contains folders
abc123
asda5453

root folder B contains all or just some of the folders of root folder A, and some more.
Example:
abc123
asda5453
a_whole_lot_more_folders

Which makes it impossible for me to just select all from root folder B and transfer to root folder A.

What i want is to compare names and then mark them. from A to B and vise versa.

As it is now, i have to manually check all folders in root folder A and see if they exists in root folder B.

Long story short. Compare folders in a root directory, and mark those who have a match in opposite root folder.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
06-04-2015, 05:46 AM
Re: Compare root folder content

It is not really practical to try and do a recursive comparison like this, especially when there is an infinite number of sub-folders which can take many hours to navigate and compare.

Its better to use proper file transfer rules to determine what files need to be updated.

All you need to do is configure your file transfer rules to skip files where the size and date/time is equal (this means only modified files are transferred), you can refine this further to skip files that are newer than the original, and then overwrite everything else.

Now in order for FlashFXP to skip files with an equal date/time you must use the preserve file date/time on upload/download and the server must support it. The first time you do this if the file date/time of the remote files do not match the date/time of your local files they will be re-uploaded.

For example I use a scheduled task to sync files between a Win2k8 R2 server and a NAS server, the source is about 5TB of data, only modified files are uploaded (about 200mb), the first time I ran this sync it took several hours, now since it's only transferring about 200mb worth of modified files it takes about 3min (the task runs daily)

Update: You can do a single level compare of the folder content (Under Tools > Compare Folder Content) but not a recursive compare.
blixten
06-10-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar
It is not really practical to try and do a recursive comparison like this, especially when there is an infinite number of sub-folders which can take many hours to navigate and compare.

Its better to use proper file transfer rules to determine what files need to be updated.

All you need to do is configure your file transfer rules to skip files where the size and date/time is equal (this means only modified files are transferred), you can refine this further to skip files that are newer than the original, and then overwrite everything else.

Now in order for FlashFXP to skip files with an equal date/time you must use the preserve file date/time on upload/download and the server must support it. The first time you do this if the file date/time of the remote files do not match the date/time of your local files they will be re-uploaded.

For example I use a scheduled task to sync files between a Win2k8 R2 server and a NAS server, the source is about 5TB of data, only modified files are uploaded (about 200mb), the first time I ran this sync it took several hours, now since it's only transferring about 200mb worth of modified files it takes about 3min (the task runs daily)

Update: You can do a single level compare of the folder content (Under Tools > Compare Folder Content) but not a recursive compare.
Okey. I don't wanna do subfolders, i just wanna do single level compare, but i wanna do it from bot local and remote. To make sure both content are there, without have to select all on local and reupload it, in hope to see if anything is missed on remote.

And for the remote part, that is always larger than the local. It comes very handy to compare my local part with the remove. And transfer all i have from remote to local. To make sure i have not accidentally deleted a file.

For 20 folders this could be done by hand, but when it reaches 100-200 folders, on singular level. An automatic check would be the absolute best.

This Tools > Compare Folder Content does not mark the matching folders. I would like to have a setting that marks on both sides. To see what stands out and not. And being able to just right click on which ever side i wanna transfer to.
blixten
06-10-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blixten
Okey. I don't wanna do subfolders, i just wanna do single level compare, but i wanna do it from bot local and remote. To make sure both content are there, without have to select all on local and reupload it, in hope to see if anything is missed on remote.

And for the remote part, that is always larger than the local. It comes very handy to compare my local part with the remove. And transfer all i have from remote to local. To make sure i have not accidentally deleted a file.

For 20 folders this could be done by hand, but when it reaches 100-200 folders, on singular level. An automatic check would be the absolute best.

This Tools > Compare Folder Content does not mark the matching folders. I would like to have a setting that marks on both sides. To see what stands out and not. And being able to just right click on which ever side i wanna transfer to.

NVM. I apparently could do this already. I had "Hide matching file/folder" option enabled. This is great

And thanks for your reply!
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket