Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 40 Category: General / Unknown
Title: Adding Recursive directory Sync'ing Status: Closed (Fixed / Implemented)
Severity: Minor Version: 3.4.1 (Beta)

djdafreund
07-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Adding Recursive directory Sync'ing

That would be nice, since sync functionality is mentioned as a main function, but it's really not possible currently.
Sure, it sync's each folder and file inside a directory, but not any files within any of the subfolder, which is what real sync'ing is about. I would really love this function to be added in a future release.
(IE- You want to sync/compare directories like MUSIC\, You may have a new album inside an artist's folder, currently FLashFXP wouldn't be able to know the difference. Only which new artist's folders it see's.
So, please add recursive directory sync'ing functionality???? Thanks so much in advance if this is added.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
07-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Re: Adding Recursive directory Sync'ing

First off the only synchronizing feature is synchronized browsing which sync's both left/right panes and follows navigation on the opposite side.

The compare folder content feature is limited to the active display only, and wouldn't function the same way if it were used in a recurisve mode.

There really isn't an ideal way to sync content without having to attempt to transfer everything and then skip everything that already exists.
djdafreund
07-15-2007, 03:33 PM

That was the whole point though really. I know it might be possible to do this sort of thing now by setting up a 'Site' for the main folder you want to syn, and set all the right settings to "If file exists/skip" function, but that would be very tedious to have to do (setup a Site for each folder you want to sync) if a 'Sync' option would be added into the program.
That way a user could point both paynes to what they want to sync, then right click and choose 'Sync' and it could auto-copy files over by using "Copy all, if file exists/skip" type of file copy mode. I bought this program part of the convenience that it advertised Sync'ing capability, thats how i read it of course, but doesn't quite do that. Not a big deal, as it's more the FTP'ing functionality that is the biggest thing i bought it for, which it's unbeatable in that field. Works perfectly.
But since the functionality of what i'm wanting to do is technically already there, and functioning, all it seems to be needed to be done is adding a shortcut within the right click submenu when connected, that would carry out an auto "Copy all highlighted files/folders, Skips all exists files. Or even skip all similar files unless the date is newer and filesize is different." The 1st option would still be just fine at the least.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
07-15-2007, 09:58 PM

If I understand correctly basically you want sync folders to transfer the files but basically have seperate file exist rules?

This is something we can probably add in future versions.
djdafreund
07-17-2007, 12:21 AM

Well, yeah, more or less. Lemme use this for example-

I have my music collection. I might buy a new album or 2 or 3 for an artist i already have a subfolder for. Currently, i can only sync the artist folders within the music folder, FlashFXP isn't capable of being able to sync any subfolders within that main directory. So sometimes i want to sync that folder, but may not remember which new albums i bought and added for a certain artist(subfolder), the only way i can include those is without having to remember each new artist CD within that directory, is having a sync option that when clicked, would automatically copy each hightlighted folder over from the right side window to the left side window, and using a "Skip file if exists" type of condition 'Sync' option. Maybe added as a submenu item when right clicking after selecting the folders on the one side.
SO that would allow more flexibility of Sync mode. Even further, adding function control in the Options menu, that would allow a user to set up how he wants that 'Sync' to function. Like similar ways to sync files now. "If file exists/skip." or "If file exists/skip unless if file is Bigger/Smaller then file-overwrite file." something along those lines.
I really believe alot of people would like this kind of functionality. Currently, sync mode is just too basic, and if its only syncing files within a directory, a user can very easily already look and do this manually very quickly. So something to be able to inclue subdirectories in some form of control is really desired and needed in future releases.

Thanks SO much if this could be added. I already love your program, and spread the word, but this is a very usefull function to add, specially when sync capabilities are already advertised. Just basic functions exists currently.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
07-03-2009, 04:21 PM

The upcoming release provides improved transfer rules along with the synchronization will now be able to handle this better.

Synchronization will provide "one way" and "one way with delete". The "one way with delete" will remove files from the destination that do not exist on the source.
djdafreund
07-03-2009, 09:25 PM

Very nice!! And thank you for doing that. I love all the changes over the past couple months or more.