Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 1147 Category: Functionality
Title: One site per config file for sync service Status: Open
Severity: Medium Version: 5.x

msg7086
04-06-2017, 01:05 AM
One site per config file for sync service

Flashfxp uses Sites.dat and quick.dat to store all sites.

Since this is a single monolithic file, it can cause problem when being synchronized between multiple PCs using services like dropbox.

I'd suggest that one site per config file structure shall be used.

Specifically, having a directory Data/FlashFXP/5/Sites/ and for each site A B C, using A.ini B.ini C.ini to store the connections. Sub folders can also use file system folders instead.

Even better, provide an option to specify the site directory so that I can directly point it to my dropbox share and save my time from creating a symbolic link back to the config directory.

quick.dat may be locally stored, as well as the frequently changing stats.dat.

A similar concept is used by XShell and some other applications.
* * Simplified Chinese Windows 10 *
Laptop:
* * Intel i5-5200U * 12G RAM * SSD * HDD
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
04-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Re: One site per config file for sync service

Hello,

We appreciate your suggestion but we have no plans to change the way we store the site profiles.

Our data files are compatible with using a services such as dropbox, google drive, one drive, or btsync.

However if using application password protection you must sync all the data files otherwise it can lead to corruption, and you need to have syncing turned off when changing application password protection on/off.
msg7086
04-08-2017, 04:56 AM

Two individual changes to sites on two PCs could cause sync conflicts.

But since you don't have a plan to change, I guess I'll have to live with it for now.
Laptop:
* * Intel i5-5200U * 12G RAM * SSD * HDD
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
04-09-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Two individual changes to sites on two PCs could cause sync conflicts.
The chance of a data sync conflict is extremely low.

Multiple machines would need to save/sync at the exact same time.

Before reading/writing any changes to the data files FlashFXP checks to determine if the data file on disk has been modified since the last access, if the file was modified then FlashFXP will reload the data first.

btsync (now known as Resilio Sync; but I use the older btsync) is by far the most aggressive network file sync app I have ever tested/used with FlashFXP and to this day I still test sync data across 4 machines. 1 always on, 1 on most of the time, 1 rarely on, and the last on and connected over wireless. Plus I use application password protection and that requires the files to be 100% accurate all the time. This leaves zero room for error.
Ticket Tools
Subscribe to this Ticket