Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 479 Category: Functionality
Title: Recursive compare to transfer queue Status: Open
Severity: Medium Version: 4.x

Diaren
04-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Recursive compare to transfer queue

Allow the option for compare directory to recurse into sub directories and submit differences to the transfer queue.

Alternatively add the ability to Queue using Transfer Rules, recursively so that files in subdirectories are subjected to the transfer rules as well as shown in the transfer queue.

This saves the user a lot of time.
Super Duper
MxxCon
04-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Re: Recursive compare to transfer queue

why would you want to complicate things by making it 2 separate manual actions?
why don't you setup proper file transfer rules and then just transfer that dir. that will automatically compare each file and transfer as needed.
04-22-2011, 07:12 AM

You want to see, all changed files between the remote server and your local files, and a comparsion of the datetime and/or size only indicates the file has changed, not that your local copy has all the changes of the remote copy, so overwriting could lose data.

e.g.
Original file uploaded sunday by A
Changed by by B on monday
A modifies local files on Monday
A uploads all changes on Tuesday
Changes made by B on monday are lost.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
04-22-2011, 07:42 AM

The compare directory feature is a visual compare in which the file name, size and date can be compared (based on the user settings), the file content is not compared during this operation.

I don't think a recursive visual compare would be that useful unless it was a specific tool (with its own window) to provide this functionality.
Diaren
04-22-2011, 07:54 AM

Well a specific tool window with the output would be even better and a lot cleaner.

The feature request does not require flashfxp to compare the contents, merely to show the results of the compare recursively.

You've got to admit that comparing lots of folders the compare tool in it's current form, would be very time consuming.
Super Duper
MxxCon
04-22-2011, 08:55 AM

It sounds like all 3 of your recent suggestions are looking to solve a problem that should be handled by source code version control systems such as cvs, svn, github or a million other projects.
If you use one of those systems, you will not have problems of overwriting unknown changes.
Trying to solve this problem using an FTP client is a wrong approach.
04-22-2011, 11:06 AM

If I thought I could solve it with git, mercurial or some other dvcs then I would. For dvcs it would go like this:
1: Download whole folder
2: add to dvcs
3: add your changes to dvcs
4: upload

So if you want to synchronise a folder, what you're saying is get a dvcs!

Where in actuality it'd be dame site simpler, as it's only an FTP thing, to allow client commands on files with a different date and/or size. Which I think perfectly fits into the ftp client model.