Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 984 Category: General / Unknown
Title: error:14094410 after switching from SSL to TLS Status: Closed
Severity: Medium Version: 4.0

wereb
10-17-2014, 06:43 AM
error:14094410 after switching from SSL to TLS

Hi!

The ftp site Im a user of (running lftpd2), has now switched from SSL to TLS due to the recently discovered POODLE vulnerability.
So I thought I'll just adjust the setting in Site Manager / Connection type to 'FTP Using Explicit SSL (Auth TLS)' and my problems will be gone, but they are not, cause Im getting below error message each time I try to login.

[L] Connecting to xxxxxxx
[L] Connected to xxxxxx
[L] 220 Port Closed
[L] AUTH TLS
[L] 234 AUTH TLS successful
[L] Connected. Negotiating TLSv1 session
[L] error:14094410:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert handshake failure
[L] Failed TLSv1 negotiation, disconnected
[L] Connection failed (Connection closed by client)

Software environment:
MS WinXP SP3 32bit updated
FlashFXP 4.0.0. (didnt bother to upgrade, cause this version seems to be the last that doesnt leave me with 0byte files when transfers fail due to being caught by a dupechecker)
OpenSSL 1.0.1j

Practically Im locked out. Any ideas, experience on this? Is it client side or server side?

Thanks
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
10-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Re: error:14094410 after switching from SSL to TLS

If I recall correctly v4.0 uses a SSLv3 connection handshake for TLS and then upgrades to TLSv1 if supported by the server.
FlashFXP v4.x only supports TLSv1, where-as FlashFXP v5.0 adds support for TLSv1_1 and TLSv1_2

Upgrading to v5.0 may resolve the problem, you can grab the portable edition for testing purposes.

Quote:
didnt bother to upgrade, cause this version seems to be the last that doesnt leave me with 0byte files when transfers fail due to being caught by a dupechecker
If this is still an issue in v5.0 please open a new ticket and explain in as much detail as possible what occurs and what you'd expect. Include any relevant ftp session log. I will try to get it resolved.
wereb
10-17-2014, 07:31 AM

thanks for fast response, i will give it a try
Super Duper
MxxCon
10-17-2014, 07:32 AM

been using Flashfxp for at least 4 years and still not registered?
10-18-2014, 10:22 AM

register what?

@bigstar
tried 4.4 just for kicks, where you can select between SSLv3 and TLSv1 for auth TLS but TLSv1 also fails miserably.
all this time we been using a one-armed giant and we didnt even know it
5.0 gets the job done nicely though, both auto and TLSv1.2 mode
the 0byte pseudo files are also gone both in 4.4 and 5.0, so thats not broke again

cheers
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
10-20-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
register what?
Your account level is a basic user which means that you have not purchased a FlashFXP registration key, or you did and its associated with some another account.

Quote:
tried 4.4 just for kicks, where you can select between SSLv3 and TLSv1 for auth TLS but TLSv1 also fails miserably.
These (breaking) changes introduced in v5.0 were not back ported to 4.x

The behavior of SSL/TLS prior to FlashFXP v5.0 was that the client would connect using SSLv3 and if a higher version was supported by the server then the connection is upgraded from SSLv3 to TLSv1, this provided the best compatibility but as we saw with the the recent SSL/TLS vulnerabilities this opens up unexpected security holes.