Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Bug Reports Ticket Tools
ID: 551 Category: General / Unknown
Title: Folder cache invalidation problem Status: Closed (Fixed / Implemented)
Severity: Minor Version: 4.1 beta

Whissi
09-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Folder cache invalidation problem

Hi,

today I was connect to a remote site (FTP) via FlashFXP.

While I was working with this site, another person removed permissions for certain folders on the same remote site.

I was connected to verify that I can no longer access these folders...

As the person told me, he has removed permission, I tried to access the folder again. And as you can imagine, I was able to browse into that folder. So we start debugging what's wrong with the permission - nobody was aware about the folder cache in FXP at this moment.

After some minutes I realized the green arrow, indicating that the folder is cached. I flushed the cache and retried: As expected, I was unable to access the folder.

I run into a stale cache.

This could be avoided, if FXP would issue the "CWD" command. This would fail and FXP could react (invalidating the cache).

It's good to cache listing commands ("ls", "MLSD"), but I won't cache CWD commands.

Right, it's not a common use case... most people won't experience changes by others while connect to a remote site... but a CWD command is cheap enough and could save you from those stale cache issues...

Please think about it.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
09-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Re: Folder cache invalidation problem

The reason we avoid all commands while navigating the cache is so that you can navigate cached folders without any delay at all, as well as navigate while performing other operations, such as a file download or upload.

You can configure the cache to expire after a user-defined number of minutes.

While I can see where in this specific situation it caused some confusion but in most cases its extremely valuable to be able to navigate the cache without any delays.

An option could be added in future versions to perform this type of checking, it would be off by default though.