Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

! Requests Need a script or some sort of cool .bat file ? Ask here!

Old 10-26-2004, 05:46 AM   #1
dink-puller
ioFTPD Foundation User

Default BPFTP style login?

I was wondering if there was a way to configure ioFTPD to accept anonymous connections and logins based on the password rather than the username. This would allow someone to login by using "IRC-nick:Pass", like in BPFTP. I saw that by giving a user the A flag, ioFTPD would accept logins like "username:IRC-Nick", but the problem is that ioGUI or using SITE SWHO it only shows the connected usernames, because of course all the passwords are one-way encrypted. Maybe having all A users be members of a certain group would be a way to control the number of concurrent logins instead. Anyone seen ioFTPD set up like that or a script that could accomplish it?
dink-puller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
zednet

I have also searched for a such setting/script,
it seems as if BPFTP is the only one having that function, is it a security issue since noone else has adapted the option?

it could be valuable, and more accurate if say, a sitebot could reply that irc nick, and limit access to users in chan only.

How else is that possible without givin every user a private acc ?
zednet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
mr_F_2

you can write a botscript to adduser/deluser when he joins/parts a channel

darkone has said thousands of times, that he will not implement features that aren't required of an FTPd. that said, this could probably be scripted somehow, but most of the people here (including me) will tell you that what you want is not secure at all, and not at all how a FTPd was meant to function. So this will 99.999% surely never be added to ioFTPd.
mr_F_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:53 AM   #4
dink-puller
ioFTPD Foundation User

Your opinion:
Quote:
most people here (including me) will tell you that what you want is not secure at all, and not at all how a FTPd was meant to function.
My opinion:
<Insert ...long winded flaming rant suddenly deleted at the last moment when I realized the pointlessness of contradicting you...here>
Old 01-05-2005, 05:42 AM   #5
EwarWoo
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Registered User

He said most people, not all. That just makes you in the minority, doesn't make him wrong
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
dink-puller
ioFTPD Foundation User

Well, if you take a broader view... ioFTPD users are a minority among FTPD users. So even if he is right and what he says fairly represents the feelings of ioFTPD users, to which I disagree, his opinion doesn't necessarily represent that of all FTPD users. Statistics are the essence of marketing, so screw whoever's right.
About a thousand registered ioFTPD users may agree with him, but several million registered BPFTP users agree with me.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
mr_F_2

Quote:
Originally posted by dink-puller
Well, if you take a broader view... ioFTPD users are a minority among FTPD users. So even if he is right and what he says fairly represents the feelings of ioFTPD users, to which I disagree, his opinion doesn't necessarily represent that of all FTPD users. Statistics are the essence of marketing, so screw whoever's right.
About a thousand registered ioFTPD users may agree with him, but several million registered BPFTP users agree with me.
the thing is, ioFTPD > BPFTP. in just scripting functionality and stats alone. not to mention the threadpool design of ioFTPD. you probably agree, otherwise you'd be happy with BP and wouldn't come here requesting that io have this feature. which isn't a bad request, i was just telling you that it is a security risk, if for no other reason than the fact that you are running a public FTP which i have assumed isn't distributining ... open source software. and also what d1 has said, that io is a daemon will not cater to strange 'bulky' additions that have turned other FTP daemons into cesspools of software and redudant cpu intensive code
mr_F_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:59 PM   #8
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_F
io is a daemon will not cater to strange 'bulky' additions that have turned other FTP daemons into cesspools of software and redudant cpu intensive code
Haha, well put.

This is more of a script request than a core feature request (thread moved).
neoxed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accept, bpftp, ioftpd, login, logins

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: