Old 03-17-2005, 01:45 AM   #1
ganymede

Default DLL's - Updated, WebGUI Initial ScreenShots

i dont know much about c++ programming or mem mapping, so currently its very difficult for me to do anything with the built in functions of io... maybe in the new version we can have either a .NET lib or COM lib that we can import into other applications that we build and communicate directly with the functionality.

These functions must all exist already inside the application its just a matter of how you seperate them from the core executable...

A lot of people know how to program and have great ideas.. at the moment not many of them can express them... with a DLL like i mentioned above you will see the FTP server grow even faster than it is.

Currently i have built a .NET Web interface (not 100% yet got a bit more to go)... yeah for some of you you will say ahh well thats bloated i am not interested... but the way it works is pretty horrid at the moment... it actually connects to the FTP as an account and runs commands, gets lists of users which i then parse into a nice looking web format... i dont know when the new version of the FTPd is going to be out so i built this one for my own purposes, i have a whole bunch of great ideas just at the moment cant realy express them because dont have a DLL or anything to play with.

I am sure there are a lot of people like myself who can program, have great ideas but maybe dont know / want to fcuk with mem maps just to get the current server throughput.

(dont forget about event hook ups :P)

Anyways just an idea.
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

If a developer can't understand the examples in the source dir, or copy/paste any of the half-dozen (if not more) sample code that use memory mapping that can be found in the programming forum, I doubt he would be able to use a DLL correctly. There's plenty of examples on how to use memory mapping avail.
Mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
SnypeTEST
ioFTPD Scripter

a DLL would be cool. You could probably make a activex object using ioGUI's code posted around here
SnypeTEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:26 PM   #4
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

I think there's a laziness factor involved (isn't that why .NET was designed ).
neoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:28 AM   #5
ganymede

Default ' Elitist Fools '

Firstly in my own defense, yes maybe as someone who is a c programmer or comp sci background you can just go read up memory mapping and then just apply that to whatever you want to do…. I am sorry to say I am no c programmer, but its typical idiots like mouton (you have 1801 posts… god I hope they are not all like this one, because then your wasting your time and your life man) who just feel everything is RTFM and want to fight about everything, next time if you got something useless to say post it elsewhere, I want constructive criticism here.

Secondly I have read all the posts on memory mapping in this forum and all the examples, I even tried to convert some the memory mapping modules from ioGUI into .NET and it didn’t work great at all… so don’t just rock up here and assume I haven’t tried anything, or I am as clueless as you think. The bottom line is I am a ‘business programmer’ I taught myself everything I know and I know as much as I want to know. I like to use programming to solve business problems not work out low level API rubbish, someone who enjoys that can do that.

.NET Lazy??? … well what I am trying to do is not performance based? So what other disadvantages are there? In fact I bet a .NET GUI, will look nice and be more feature rich than anything you can whip up in PHP and so far I haven’t seen anything web based whipped up by anyone so whose going to complain about a .NET web app? The possibilities are endless with .NET … php falls short the minute you want anything but a website. Smart apps? Mobile apps?
Have you ever tried doing drag drop customization in PHP? I don’t want to try… check out .NET 2.0 Webparts because isn’t that what you want at the end of the day a customizable user interface – that doesn’t have to be lightening quick? At the end of the day there are tons of non critical systems that have slower than c interfaces…. I am going to build my app anyways if there is no DLL, i'll do it whatever way I can but then there might be the few that go … OMFG how can we use a slow (and when I say slow I mean not as fast as a native c app) site like this??? (chill out lamers the world is not about CPU cycles)

Anyways that a completely different argument… if I said java you would probably happy, but in terms of performance its just as crap if not worse than .NET 1.1 and definitely worse than Beta .NET 2.0

It’s shocking to think that there are tons of great people in this forum, all with great ideas then you get people trying to squash them into oblivion instead of helping them, if a DLL is too much to ask for well then it is, but if it doesn’t take too much more work why not post it and see a lot more apps coming out, some not the greatest others really really fantastic.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:36 AM   #6
FTPServerTools
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

A plain flat simple dll would suffice? I mean that is easier then an OCX or a COM.
Basically like:
ioMemoryMappingBegin()
ioMemoryMappingEnd()
ioUserGetNext(USER *u)
etc... What kind of functions would be needed?

And please dont call mouton that, he is right it is fairly simple. And he does know what he is talking about. A dll would be language independant and defenitely easier to use (e.g. in Delphi, VB, .NET, etc...).
The point is a bit that the flexifility of the io programming interface allows for lots of options in little code. So mapping it to a simple dll would defenitile produce a great bundle of functions that.
So I think you could make a more clear request, like what kind of functions do you want to perform?

And memory mapping works in C# as well..
FTPServerTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

Personally, calling a board administrator (or anyone for that matter) an idiot is not something I would do on my second post on a forum. But then, that's just me.

More to the point, personnal attacks of any kind are not tolerated here. That's in the rules that show at the top of each forum.
Consider yourself warned.
Mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Default Re: ' Elitist Fools '

Quote:
Originally posted by ganymede
.NET Lazy??? … well what I am trying to do is not performance based? So what other disadvantages are there? In fact I bet a .NET GUI, will look nice and be more feature rich than anything you can whip up in PHP and so far I haven’t seen anything web based whipped up by anyone so whose going to complain about a .NET web app? The possibilities are endless with .NET … php falls short the minute you want anything but a website. Smart apps? Mobile apps?
Umm, maybe you didn't notice the sarcasm in my post, thus why I had the "smiley" face.

Relax a little...maybe it's time for a long needed spring break vacation.
neoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
SnypeTEST
ioFTPD Scripter

w0rd son.. chill.. maybe in your first post you should've stated that you have tried all methods of memory mappings, not just the C++ Code

Quote:
I even tried to convert some the memory mapping modules from ioGUI into .NET and it didn’t work great at all… so don’t just rock up here and assume I haven’t tried anything, or I am as clueless as you think.
Dont convert them, just use his Mem Mapping class to create a simple ocx file. I have also tried to convert his Mem Mapping class but I have come to understand that converting his class would like taking a copy of a copy. If one were to want to convert the code one would start from the C++ Sources to fully get the gist of what D1 is trying to do.

Quote:
I am sorry to say I am no c programmer, but its typical idiots like mouton (you have 1801 posts… god I hope they are not all like this one, because then your wasting your time and your life man) who just feel everything is RTFM and want to fight about everything, next time if you got something useless to say post it elsewhere, I want constructive criticism here.
Well, in the case of the 'mouton' dispute. He is an *******, he will always be an ******* -- especially if its your 1st post lol... only way to win him over is if you bake delicious oatmeal cookies ... isnt that right mouton :banana:

oh how I miss the good ol' dayz

Edit: Fixed typo lol, "be in *******"
Old 03-18-2005, 07:16 PM   #10
ganymede

Personally i think the DLL should have higher level functions than memory mapping ones... EG:

GetUserListing()
GetUserDetails(string Username)
GetGroupListing()

AddUser(params)
AddUserIP(username IP)
DelUser(params)

GetCurrentUsers()

If you want any kind of application to be built it would be great if everyone used the same DLL to access the FTP underlying commands like a facade layer in any N-Tier architecture.
Not that some use memmory mapping others use, the flat files etc.

At the moment i do it in a really crap way i login to the ftp and run the commands that are built in and parse the output.... the reason i do this apposed to the flat files is because the 'business logic' is already built into the ftp server. if we had the DLL it would be too.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #11
SnypeTEST
ioFTPD Scripter

Got yah. Ive requested this to be done too from the IRC Chatrooms. I doubt anyone will make it though -- thats when I started hating c++ programmers lol
Old 03-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #12
ganymede

well then for the people who want to interact with the server even if it is in a really crap way (ftp connect over SSL in background and run commands) like the way i am doing... i will release my DLL when i am done with my app. Performance wise its actually not too bad... the overhead is in the connection to the ftp which is minimal specially with todays pc's...

hopefully someone will release a dll.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:02 AM   #13
SnypeTEST
ioFTPD Scripter

Do you create a persistant connection to the FTP?
Old 03-19-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
FTPServerTools
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

I'll see if I can make some simple dll then. Be aware that io has to run for certain functions to work properly.....
No COM tho, that is too cumbersome.. (at least for now).
FTPServerTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:06 PM   #15
deo
Banned

it would be good also if someone put up a fully compilable source in c for the gewbs, to show memory mapping/shmem example, ie. to get users, groups, tagline, etc.
deo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
built, ftp, great, ideas, moment

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: