Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Got a new idea or addition which would benefit IOFTPD? Post it here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 05:30 PM   #1
mr_F_2

Default crashguard

hey d1, can you make crashguard toggleable? i don't need it and don't want 2x ioFTPd.exe process running. a little ini option would be nice.

just ma $0.02
Old 02-18-2004, 05:39 PM   #2
dasOp

I second that. It's screwing up ioTrayIcon. I don't mind io taking care of the crashguard.. makes me not having to do it. But just stopping io kinda makes things go kinda awry.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

hehehe I must agree as well, I find it more of a nuisance.

When running ioFTPD as a service, if it crashes the service monitor/wrapper will restart it anyway. (FireDaemon, MakeService etc.)
Old 02-18-2004, 06:42 PM   #4
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

How is it a nuisance ??

U should use site shutdown to terminate io. Not killing processes.

io will run as a service natively soon, which means you won't have to/won't be able to run it using another service manager which auto-restarts on crash.

and "don't want 2x ioFTPd.exe process running" ..???
Old 02-18-2004, 07:21 PM   #5
dasOp

I find the service-argument kinda self-defeating. If an app can run as a service it wont need a crashguard. The service control host handles that.

As for site shutdown, I dont agree. A reboot of computer sure cant trigger a site shutdown. Just handling a window message would be fine with me but io doesnt. So io gets TerminateProcess() in the head by the system.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:36 AM   #6
epimetheus13
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Default site shutdown

While this might not be exactly on topic, I'm having problems just using site shutdown. I shutdown io with site shutdown and then i can't get it to restart. Using 5.7.6r. This msg was in the error.log:
02-18-2004 23:27:49 Guardian process did not shutdown within timeout.

Any ideas?
Old 02-19-2004, 01:49 AM   #7
alturismo
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

i agree too in that point, should be adjustable using

the crashguard, due service handles it anyway and better,

like for remote updates wich needs restarts (init.itcl)

site shutdown, service will restart io, update done,

crashguard i doubt, due it shuts down both processes,

so i would need an startup script again or radmin to start.

but lets see what will happen when service is implented

for now everyone can choose if he picks 57x with crashguard

or keep 563
Old 02-19-2004, 03:01 AM   #8
toki
ioFTPD Foundation User

what happens to ioB "site restart". is that process kill or site shutdown. maybe 2nd io restarts main service and ioB does it itself u would have 3 io executables running? eh?

greez toki

PS: a program with a task to check if main process is crashing and restarting it is a bit weird isnt it? looks a bit like "i know that i will crash sometime but who cares... restarted"
(M$ default answer on blue screen with memory address most users cant do anything with: reboot your machine and if that screen appears more often contact your sysadmin hrhr)

wouldnt it be better to log crash reason to file to make user able to fix error or report as a bug.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:52 AM   #9
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dasOp
I find the service-argument kinda self-defeating. If an app can run as a service it wont need a crashguard. The service control host handles that.

As for site shutdown, I dont agree. A reboot of computer sure cant trigger a site shutdown. Just handling a window message would be fine with me but io doesnt. So io gets TerminateProcess() in the head by the system.
I doubt Windows service handler allows restarting a service on crash. 3rd party (non-free) service managers like FireDaemon can do it, but it basically does the same as dark does atm... U got a firedaemon.exe process running all the time which monitor the process and restart the service if it see it disappear... What's the diff. between having two ioftpd.exe processes or one ioftpd.exe and one firedaemon.exe processes ?

As for the shutdown windows message thing, dark said he would implement it in the future. It's still not ready because dark need to figure out thread sync before he can terminate all of them correctly.

It's still beta software, and asking to remove a new feature in a beta software based on future developments not being done yet ... makes no sense to me...

toki: latest ioB being older than site shutdown, i doubt it uses that. If it does in the future, it would only be available from sitebot, since a script can't execute a SITE ... command. Sitebot could since it got a ftp session open on the site.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #10
mr_F_2

i think crashguard is a useless feature, in that if ioFTPD is going to be stable there is no need for a crashguard. and if it's not going to be stable then why are we paying for it.

i'll admit, that it is beta now it could be a very useful feature in debugging. but if it's here for the long run i'd like to see it be an option that i can disable in ini.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #11
dasOp

Windows Service Host has recovery options, see the 'Recovery' tab in service properties.

As for removing a feature, I don't want to remove it. I want to make it optionable via .ini option.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #12
Zer0Racer
ioFTPD Scripter

Only thing that has been crashing io for the last N releases is scripts that have errors. That's what can happen when io allows to interact with io so deeply.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:44 PM   #13
fobban
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Yup an option about it would be good.. makes everyone happy
Old 02-19-2004, 04:04 PM   #14
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dasOp
Windows Service Host has recovery options, see the 'Recovery' tab in service properties.
Don't we learn something every day...
Makes one wonder why ppl use Firedaemon instead of using that option...
Ppl probably prefer a gui setup instead of using a dos command to install a service...
hum...
Old 02-19-2004, 04:14 PM   #15
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_F
i think crashguard is a useless feature, in that if ioFTPD is going to be stable there is no need for a crashguard. and if it's not going to be stable then why are we paying for it.
Well, a lot of ppl use monitors on internet connections... Not because it's a bad ISP, but because it's better to be able to react fast is something happens than to be sorry when we see something hapenned hours ago. Same applies to software... No software is bugless... and not being bugless means it could crash... either from a hardware failure (RAM, HD, CPU...) or bad scripts doing invalid stuff on io shared memory, against which io can't do much except validity checks, I'm sure io can crash, even if it never did for me...

Wouldn't u prefer your site restarting by itself seconds after it crashed and having your customers (users) be able to continue working on your ftp, to having to restart it manually once u see it's down because one of those guys complained it's not working..?

Anyway, now with dasOp point on services recovery options built-in Windows, I don't see the point of crashguard either, except if dark didn't know about that or if it is temporary until it runs as a service natively...
Closed Thread

Tags
$0.02, crashguard, ini, option, running

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: