Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Got a new idea or addition which would benefit IOFTPD? Post it here!

Old 12-03-2003, 10:42 PM   #1
fridge66
ioFTPD Registered User

Default Question about hammering...

The hammer ban works great in ioFTPD, but I am wondering where it stores the login data? I'd really like to be able to see what IP's are not behaving themselves.

I've looked through the logs, but can only find sucessful login info. Am I missing a log somewhere?

Any help is appreciated...

-fridge66
fridge66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:57 AM   #2
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Currently it doesn't log them..
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:46 AM   #3
wooolF[RM]
ioFTPD Foundation User

u can't unban either
wooolF[RM] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:57 PM   #4
odd
ioFTPD Registered User

nice feature would be to be able to unbann and maybe read some logs ? Could it happend in some future io version?
odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:11 AM   #5
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Would be useful to output ip/host/time banned of the users who hammered to the error.log
neoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 01:35 PM   #6
fridge66
ioFTPD Registered User

I don't care about un-ban. If the user manages to get themselves banned, I am in no hurry to un-ban.

BUt the error.log idea would be awesome. I'd like to see some kind of logs for malicous users in future versions, if at all possible.

-SP66
Old 12-05-2003, 02:48 PM   #7
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by fridge66
I don't care about un-ban. If the user manages to get themselves banned, I am in no hurry to un-ban.

BUt the error.log idea would be awesome. I'd like to see some kind of logs for malicous users in future versions, if at all possible.

-SP66
I'll consider this; however problem is that you can't show when ban expires; since if user connects while ban is active, ban will be renewed. (and hammering user, would cause huge resource [memory, disk, cpu] consumption [log writing])
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:29 PM   #8
fridge66
ioFTPD Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by darkone
I'll consider this; however problem is that you can't show when ban expires; since if user connects while ban is active, ban will be renewed. (and hammering user, would cause huge resource [memory, disk, cpu] consumption [log writing])
I was thinking it could write something like this (I'm not a programmer so I hope I'm not off my horse):

[date/time] [IP] [HOSTNAME] [USERNAME USED]

Have this write to log until the user/ip is banned. So log would use fairly low resources. There would be in the case of a 3 connect ban, only 4 log entries written.

Even further, in ioftpd.ini, an option could be added =1 (basic logging like above) and =2 (verbose for those with mega puters). That way the people that utilize this function would be have to deal with getting the needed resources.

For me, ban duration/expiration mean little, I'd just like to have the core info.

Anyway, just a few ideas. If you could come up with something, i'd be appreciated. Keep you the great work!

-fridge66
Old 12-06-2003, 10:26 AM   #9
wooolF[RM]
ioFTPD Foundation User

also writing to log could probably get |Harm| to include it in ioBanana for displaying on IRC :banana:
wooolF[RM] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:53 AM   #10
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

fridge66: You wouldn't always be able to display the username of the person who is hammering. If they connect many times before a USER is issued from the client, the only info you would know is the IP and Ident of the person.
neoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 01:38 PM   #11
fridge66
ioFTPD Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by NeoXed
fridge66: You wouldn't always be able to display the username of the person who is hammering. If they connect many times before a USER is issued from the client, the only info you would know is the IP and Ident of the person.
True. I was assuming USER1 hammers, it would only log the attempts till the time of ban. Obviously if the client is banned, they won't get the login prompt.

-fridge66

Tags
behaving, ips, login, logs, looked

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: