Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Got a new idea or addition which would benefit IOFTPD? Post it here!

Old 10-16-2003, 01:15 PM   #1
Mr_X
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Thumbs up Some suggestions

First, bravo for this ftpd, It's the best I ever seen. To contribute to the development, i will register (and because i need a good ftpd)

Today, with a friend, we were speaking of ftpd. He told me he has a glftp (Linux ftpd) that is a very robust software and that ioFTPD is the glftpd of Windows.
We spoke about the manner of glftpd works: a daemon (inetd) wait for a connection and when a user connects, it starts glftp for that user (it start a glftpd for each user connected on its ftp). You'll think that's stupid and why not a big thread instead of lots of little threads. There's a reason: if for any reason, the user makes glftpd crash, it crashes only its connection and not everyone's connection. That's great.
Another thing you'll probably say is "Does it consume lots of memory?" No, each process takes 200Ko of memory. If there's no user logged in, there no glftpd started then it does not consume anything.

All that to say that if io works like this, that will be great but there lots of work to do i know.
Well, as we say in french: "Voilà "
Mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:45 PM   #2
ADDiCT
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

i'm not sure if u can accept an incoming connection on a socket in another process (in winNT), darkone ?
ADDiCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:35 PM   #3
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

It is possible, but it ruins scalability. Use of one thread per client, is considered as old-fashioned, very inefficient programming (only few daemons does that - most use thread pools) It does offer better stability... but that's the only advantage it has over thread pools. Disadvantages are so many that I don't even bother to list them.

In otherwords: you don't want to see glftpd like daemon on windows; performance would be something between terrible and horrible, resource usage would be 1-2mb per client, proper synchronization of processess near impossible, and stability not much better that what it is with current core...

I think I have skill to port glftpd to run under cygwin nowdays... might even get it to compile under visual c++
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connection, ftp, ftpd, glftpd, user

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: