Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Got a new idea or addition which would benefit IOFTPD? Post it here!

View Poll Results: Is hard-coded IP checking needed?
Essential, I have provided explanation below 27 49.09%
Desired, but script-based checking is fine 18 32.73%
Dont care 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2005, 03:44 PM   #16
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

I think poll should be: is hardcoded ip-check needed, and if one votes for yes - then some explanation why so.
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #17
Linkster
Administrator

I have modified the poll a little bit to collect more accurate results.
Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #18
EwarWoo
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Registered User

Well, thats different to what the poll was intended to show, but thats cool.
Personally I'm fine with a script but only if its created by the developer, fully supported, and if the script crashes it wont let people in at all rather than let people in regardless of IP.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:50 PM   #19
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Chance of script causing a crash is much less than what of chance of low-level C code. Not to mention, that if LUA script crashes - it's likely to bring whole daemon down (same behaviour as module/internal function would cause a crash)
Old 07-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #20
EwarWoo
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Registered User

OK, I'd rather entire daemon went than just IP checking so thats good enuff for me then.
Cheers for clarifying and sorry for being a pain in the arse
Old 07-22-2005, 03:32 PM   #21
tuff
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Scripter

the poll should be closed, as d1 has already stated he will ignore the results anyhow
Old 07-22-2005, 05:21 PM   #22
Mave
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Default Hardcoded<SWITCHABLE>Scriptbased

Based on the facts darkone did write down , i think a scripts based ip checking will do fine
Allthough would be nice if the script wil be included in the default install package.

Anyway hardcode ip checking as a config option which wil be disabled as default wouldnt be very bad to.
Atleast the customer will be able to choose what he wants either hardcoded or scriptbased.
Ip checking is a important security issue anyway
Mave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:03 AM   #23
Mr_X
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Just wanted to comment some things:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone
You need to understand that I'm trying to make ioftpd completely script driven instead of having N hardcoded features.
I don't want to be mean but in this case you can make an entirely scripted ftpd with tcl or php or anything else. Lots of ppl have problem with script, I don't see why you make such a BASIC thing scriptable, it's nonsense for me.
Look at others FTPD: Raiden, Serv-U, GLFTPD, ... it's hardcoded.
Or will you provide an easy script to do this when you release io v1?

Quote:
We're now talking less than 20lines of code
If it's only 20 lines of codes, why don't you add them (yes, I read your post), it shouldn't be difficult. Like I said, basic things like that should be hardcoded.
Mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:30 AM   #24
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Red face

Sure you can easily write decent ftp daemon using php/tcl/... high level programming languages. However such daemon would be very inefficient. Lua is somewhat different; it's special case programming language designed to run things really fast. And due to its' outstanding performance, it's being used in many commerical applications that require high performance. eg. games and embedded devices.

It's in everyone's intrest that I spend time on optimizing 1% of code that is in use 99% of time, rather than optimizing 99% of code that is in use 1% of time. This is where ihmo others go wrong. They implement everything that users require as configuration options. Which at first it may seem like reasonable approach, but after a while you have dozens of options that many people don't even know/care about. If you had designed daemon to be easily extended - which does actually require much more time than adding those built-in options - you could have provided those same features in small scripts/modules. The only difference it makes to end-user, is that he needs to copy a file to certain location instead of modifying configuration file.

Btw, isn't it rather pointless to have this debate before you have actually evaluated the new daemon? You're welcome to say that performance sucks and that I made poor choices, if you really think that once you've tested it
Old 07-24-2005, 11:11 AM   #25
tuff
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Scripter

i think that hat has made you go even more barmy
Old 07-24-2005, 05:21 PM   #26
EwarWoo
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Registered User

Quote:
They implement everything that users require as configuration options. Which at first it may seem like reasonable approach, but after a while you have dozens of options that many people don't even know/care about.
So far 87% of people want it (31 votes, only 4 dont cares). I'd hardly say thats a feature no-one cares about
Old 07-25-2005, 03:49 AM   #27
WarC
ioFTPD Scripter

can't resist to post...

Been following this thread since start and damn I want ip-checking. I wanted it hardcoded at first but kinda changed my mind a bit. I don't really care if its scripted or not as long as its inicom(d1) that makes it. As suggested above somewhere why not make it a examplescript to show how lovely it is to use LUA. This way it will also show what the future have for other of the internal commands that if I read correcly all will be luascripted in the end.
WarC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #28
Mr_X
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Quote:
You're welcome to say that performance sucks and that I made poor choices, if you really think that once you've tested it
I never said that performance will suck (and I don't care about performance at login time) but i think that MORE SCRIPTS == MORE PROBLEMS
Mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:33 PM   #29
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

"People have issues."
And that will be the extent on my participation on this whole thread.

Cheers!

- Mouton

PS Always happy to troll.
Mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:20 AM   #30
peep
FlashFXP Scripter
ioFTPD Foundation User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouton
"People have issues."
And that is just the way it will always be. Me for one don't mind it being scripted. I wouldn't mind if d1 was the one to make the script/module tho'. But I can't agree that more scripts equals more problems, either you've been using the wrong scripts then or perhaps it comes down to lazyness? I mean if this script/module would be coded by d1 himself(?), what's the big deal? Don't you people trust his skills yet? If d1 includes a module for this in the final release, I'm all good. What's the difference then whether it's implemented in the core or as a module..
peep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
checking, ftp, poll, results, vote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: