Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Default Back again

I apologize for being away for such a long perioid without notifying anyone. I'm not sure, if I should explain why I was gone, but for your pleasure I will write a brief explanation.

As some of you know I was enrolled in university from January 2003 to January 2004 (I still am, but duh). During that time (2003 - 2004) I was paid study grants total of ~4700euros. But because of reasons that I'm not willing to disclose on public, I didn't advance in my studies. Instead, I was working on ioFTPD fulltime. Long story short: ~few months ago, I was informed that I have to pay that ~4700e + intrest back...

Next version of daemon was quite near completion before I disappeared without a trace. However during that time, I came up with some ideas that simply have/had to be implemented. (not yet another core rewrite though)

I'm not sure, if I'm supposed to reveal much of information what I had in mind (& have been doing). But since these changes will effect compatability with existing scripts & I've left you misinformed for so long time, I'm going to leak them:
- Optimizations (right)
+ new timers (less overhead when inserting/deleting)
+ smarter (faster, more efficient) configuration value store (ripped idea from database API)
+ faster memory allocation (per thread memory caches)
+ new string tokenizer (it's more important than it sounds )
+ list API with threadsafe list iterators (used for storing client list etc. - less overhead than scanning a vector)
- Database API changes
+ row level locks (as opposed to 'item' (user/group) level locking)
+ column names
- 'Client environment'
+ Custom environment with editable values (allows changing host, path, user, ident, ip etc. through script/module.. you'll love this; oh. say bye bye to internal IDNT support You never saw this one coming, did you?)
- Something will happend to cookie system. (programming language? .. not a high priority item, but current cookie system isn't well suited for the new environment, and it's likely that it's not worth the effort to make it work with it)
- Certificate based authentication (not a high priority item either, but it's still something that will be implemented eventually to replace internal ident + ip based authentication)

Don't ask, when it will be done. Most of the code left is trivial, but there's still a lot to do.
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
mr_F_2

mmmm

glad you're back.
can't wait for the new version.
hope everything went peachy with paying back the grant
mr_F_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
jron
ioFTPD Registered User

sounds good... saw you in #winprog the other day; got my hopes up. =)

also, I hope io will turn into a distributed ftpd in the future as this seems to be where things are headed.
jron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
Harm
Too much time...
Ultimate Scripter

It's nice to see you again I hope everything is going ok for you now.
Keep up the good work.
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:03 AM   #5
tuff
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Scripter

wb, nice to see you are still around
Old 03-30-2005, 02:31 AM   #6
fobban
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Nice to see darkone post in the forum. Maybe there still is hope for this great project
fobban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 AM   #7
Mave_2

Smile Hey

Well thats great to see you back

Hope everything is going well again for you

Thought you were vanished from earth kidnapped by some aliens
which did need a great programmer

Mave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:20 AM   #8
JoC
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Welcome back...

Didnt IniCom say they also coded on a new version of io based on some older code? Do your return mean that they will stop and you will continue this great project?
JoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:02 AM   #9
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

No JoC, IniCom said they would hire another programmer to finish the project. Whether darkone's return will change their mind(s) or not, I don't know.

http://www.ioftpd.com/board/showthre...&threadid=4858
neoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:07 AM   #10
JoC
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Thanks for the clear up.
JoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:39 PM   #11
IniCom
Ultimate Scripter

Default DarkOne

S'pose I should quell the rumors before they get too rampant. DarkOne *is* back and we're all on the same page. I didn't want to post anything until we'd had a chance to figure out whether things were going to truly be back on schedule and it looks as if they are. D1 is continuing as he described above and we've got things back on track for everyone working on ioFTPD. No, we weren't going to hire a new programmer. We already have other programmers within the company that would take on project lead. IniCom is more than D1, CED, and the individual coders that are recognized. D1, CED, and some others just happen to be leads on their respective projects, and for good reason. It's nice to work with talented developers. D1 is going to remain project lead now that we know he's alive. As for the other post, I'm going to close it and it'll fade into obscurity. We're still going to take care of the scripters and keep moving forward. A lot of new stuff is going to come together both technically and logistically in the next couple months. I look forward to what people have to say about the next rev. of ioFTPD.

-Jon L. Hill
President / COO
IniCom Networks Inc.
IniCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:26 AM   #12
deo
Banned

So, is updated info of broken cookies, new implementations and whats not gonna work be regularly updated on forum?
deo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:38 AM   #13
peep
FlashFXP Scripter
ioFTPD Foundation User

Great to see you back on track d1. hope you got that moneyissue sorted. I know what a pain those minimum studyhours can be. been facing the same problem myself some time ago.

But it's great to see you back, wouldn't be the same project without you handling it!
peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:30 AM   #14
jahknee
ioFTPD Registered User

wonderful to hear this! best news in ages! i'd hate to see such a great project just die ...
jahknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #15
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Did I mention, that new code is designed so that server will die nicely when there's no references to virtual services => no more crashing & trashing on shutdown. Also, I'm thinking of adding ipv6 support (so far i've written everything to support arbitary length network address's)
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
api, item, list, long, time

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: