Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Old 12-31-2003, 04:25 AM   #1
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Default 2002-2004

Developement 2002-2003:

ioFTPD project begun on april 2002. I was told, that there is a need for a daemon that could provide gl-like features on windows. I took the challenge alone, as I was eager to learn writing Win32 native code. I had no idea how large project would grow, and how different efficient win32 code is.

Because I lacked prior experience of threading, my first task was to learn primitive use of threads. I chose to use bsd-style sockets for portability, ansi functions, and easy thread-per-client model. Within few weeks, alpha version was ready. It wasn't what I hoped it to be; daemon maxxed 28mb/sec on local transfers - and with dozen of users downloading, it used enormous amount of cpu on lousy 100mbit connection. Idea of writing portable code, had to be buried.

(#ioftpd ~10users, 50kb of code)

For next couple of months I worked on beta1. Beta1 was fully functional daemon, and instead of bsd-style select() it
used non-blocking sockets with event notification. Threading model did not change. Performance for single transfer was somewhat better, but it still wasn't able to serve more than dozen of users. I wasn't satfisfied with it.

(#ioftpd ~30users, ~100kb of code)

Beta2-4 were steps closer to windows native daemon: Memory handling and file io were changed to Win32 API calls. Performance, features
and stability were constantly improved. I spent much time helping out new scripters, learning win32 api commands,
studying new search algorithms and possible threading models. Daemon was nearly fully functional.

(#ioftpd ~100users, ~300kb of code)

Beta4.5 was a giant leap forward. It actually should have been more beta5, or ioFTPD v2. It no longer used inefficient thread per client model. New improved core, was able to handle io for 31 clients per thread, and jobs were performed using worker threads. Single transfer performance remained same, while it was able to server more clients with much improved performance. Beta4.5 was tested with 100clients online, and it peaked over 45mb/sec.

(#ioftpd ~200users, ~800kb of code)

Beta5 is what I first imagined ioFTPD to be. It provides superior performance and scalability on win32 and is more extendable than glftpd. In terms of performance (~80mb/sec) and scalability (1000clients, hundreds of clients per thread), it has very little room for improvements.

(#ioftpd +250users, ~1.1mb of code)

2004?

In the future, focus will be on making suitable for non-warez usage. Following goals are set for 2004:

- Fibers (done)
- Being able to install daemon as service (soon to be)
- Active directory support
- Web administration (documentating work for php developer)
- Unicode (UTC + UTF)
- Ipv6

Thanks?

Once again, I'd like to thank those who have registered. If there weren't you, I doubt there was io either.

Special thanks:

Linkster (web hosting)
ZeroRacer (documentation)
Mouton (www)
Tuff (botnet)
Addict (iogui)

ps. I didn't have time to check grammar.. ;p
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:58 AM   #2
Pharaoh
ioFTPD Registered User

Thumbs up

Great post!
Keep up the wonderful work you are doing mate, and so do all the excellent scripters who support and add to this wonderful project!
Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:26 AM   #3
MaistroX
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Registered User

Thumbs up

Jupp, GREAT work, keep it up ...as allways.

And a HAPPY NEW YEAR for u D1 and the rest on this Board to aswell !
MaistroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:22 PM   #4
Jojje
ioFTPD Foundation User

Yeah!!! :banana:
Merry New Year & Happy...
No wait....
Happy Merry & New Christmas.
Shit no..... That aint it.
Uhh, Merry New Happy &......... ah **** it, u know what I mean...
Jojje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:38 AM   #5
EwarWoo
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Registered User

Great thread
Very interesting to see what happenned before I discoverred ioFTPD. I was a late adapter, didn't find out how great it was 'till 4.9.x, but even since then so much seems to have developped and improved.
Great work scripters and especially D1, will be very interesting to carry on watching what happens (all my sites are slowly going gl, but I'm hooked now so will still be here, watching and playing. heheh).
Have a happy new year everyone
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 10:37 PM   #6
wooolF[RM]
ioFTPD Foundation User

Nice thread thnx for all developements and best ftpd out there
wooolF[RM] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 01:11 AM   #7
mr_F_2

Thumbs up

very interesting

thanks for that info, wasa good read and makes me respect you and io all that much more
mr_F_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:50 PM   #8
Kid Twilight

Very nice read darkone. Your server is really something you can be proud of!

I found this little tidbt interesting:

Quote:
it has very little room for improvements.
Unimaginable fantastic goals (and improvements) are always laughed at, at first, untill they become a reality. I remember attending a workshop where impossible goals were set - right up untill someone came up with an idea to realize those goals. I'm sure you will improve this ftp even further than even you first imagined. You've done a helluva job so far. Keep it up!
Kid Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code, daemon, performance, win32

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: