Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Old 12-29-2003, 08:26 PM   #1
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Thumbs down nForce

I recommend you to think twice before buying motherboard containing nvidia chipset

The whole annoyance began with putting nforce driver cd in:

Error!!!! Language version mismatch. Setup will not proceed. WTF? Maybe I should switch regional settings? I still got the same dumb error. I was time to do some serious hacking, and install drivers manually double-clicking the setup binary. Warning!!!! You need patch #1234567890 or SP1 to install USB v2.0. At this point I thanked god, that they were smart enough to include required patch on cd. Finally, after minutes of struggling, I got the drivers installed. (I can't remember that I had spent this much time installing drivers for mb before. Ever since XP was released, I haven't installed a single driver for any mb before.)

Once I had succesfully installed usb, I grabbed wlan drivers from the old computer. At first, everything seemed to work properly. When I accessed google, horrifying reality stroke me; loading page took for ages. I thought maybe it's just bad weather. But 0.9kb/sec download speed for files and 95% packet loss indicated that either there must be toxic amounts of radiation in the air, or something is seriously wrong with the system. (There were no shiny green clouds, so I assumed it's system) I began to download new nforce drivers at 0.9kb/sec...

and I waited... and I waited some more... I actualy waited for 15% to download, until I decided to use the old computer for downloading. (turned off both computers, plugged out and in all cables) My hypothesis were confirmed; download averaged 80kb/sec. After download I did quick cable switching & driver installation. With astonishing result: 0.4kb/sec and ping doesn't go through at all (job well done nvidia) Quick cable switching again (as quick as it can be, after spending hour for doing something that usually takes 2secs) Snatched new wlan drivers, and utility that was recommended as replacement for windows zero configuration utility. Cables... Install... things got even more bizarre: Driver began to cycle randomly between two available wlan groups.. it'll sure look awesome in isp's logs

As you might imagine I was getting somewhat frustrated... everytime I needed to download something, I had to switch cables. I went through all bios settings, windows system settings, .....

Luckily there was a life saviour; this time, not in form of a pill, but an add-in USB card. I plugged it in, windows automatically detected it, installed all drivers. Without a single error or question, everything was working.

Did I mention about nasty bluescreens that I got during the process? And how about those 'system has recovered from serious error' message boxes?

Maybe I just missed "the way usb is meant to be plugged", or "the way drivers are installed"... but I'm never going to recommend anything nvidia based to anyone. Just horrifying experience. If you happend to use nforce and io, please mention it in your bug reports - so I can ignore you
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:19 AM   #2
Onemangang

Thumbs up nforce

Hi DarkOne.

It seems that you have been quite unlucky somehow.
I have here a epox 8rda+ mainboard with nforce2 chipset.
And its the fastest and most stable box i ever had.

Regarding the usb:
The manual clearly states that you should install sp1 for xp
before installing the drivers, else usb2 will probably not work.

Since i am a programmer myself i have sometimes ****ed up my
system, so i have installed windows quite a few times on this
box now ( using ghost now cauz i'm lazy :P )

And i know that i forgot at sp1 before drivers a few times.
But that was easily solved after letting windows detect new
hardware manually from the devicemanager after installing sp1.

It works just fine and it is __fast__.

For the record i can tell that my friend has one just like it ( identical), and another friend has a differend brand nforce2
board that also works perfect.

The two epox boxes both have a barton xp2500 and 1 gig ram
as 2 * 512MB samsung ddr2700 to utilize the dual ddr channel.

And it was on this box i first testet ioftp with no problems.
if you want, i can dl the latest unregistered version and
test it again. Also, if you want it testet with some special
setup/inifile, please email me, and i will check.

Best Regards and a happy new year.
Onemangang.
Onemangang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:05 AM   #3
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

So far, I've only heard bad things about usb compatability on nforce. Nearly all of my friends have had some sort of trouble with it using usb devices.
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 02:30 AM   #4
gulu

Wink

hmm.. never had any problems with my nforce-mb.. usb works fine and the whole computer is pretty stable.. but i can only speak for myself.. perhaps i had luck
gulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 06:43 AM   #5
thewarden

Quote:
Originally posted by darkone
So far, I've only heard bad things about usb compatability on nforce. Nearly all of my friends have had some sort of trouble with it using usb devices.
No luck with them either...gave up...
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:43 PM   #6
ChipMunk666
ioFTPD Foundation User

No problems here too.
I use the windows xp with sp1 implemented.
worked great.
when i use the windows xp without sp1.
Many mobo's get stuck on the usb devices.
USB2.0 can only function with sp1
better to use sp1 than sp1a
in sp1a the virtual machine is left out.
Only diffrence in those packages.
install it again end use the sp1 install.
And see if you are sweating again.
I had this problem on my gps barebone.
the usb was working with the shitload of drivers i dld from the net to test.
found a driver that worked.Only my car was like 1.5cm off course.
and on maps thats a lot and unuseble.
installed the sp1.
Everything worked like a charm.Car was at his correct place.
The router worked between 10-25 meters correct.
ChipMunk666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, driver, drivers, error, installed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: