Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

ioFTPD General New releases, comments, questions regarding the latest version of ioFTPD.

Old 11-04-2003, 04:28 AM   #1
ravis

Question List -r ?

Hi decided to try out ioftpd today but noticed that LIST -R doesent work.
I use normally use list -r to index my ftp so maybe there is some other way to do a recursive list for ioftpd?
Or am i just doing something wrong?
Thanks for all help in advance
ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 05:38 AM   #2
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

This is unfortunately impossible, as in current form ioFTPD caches whole directory list before sending it to client. => Recursive listing would result to _huge_ buffer.

Neater way to do indexing (in the future), is to create site command/scheduler event that traverses through directories and writes a log. In the future (within coming next few releases) creation of such command will be made much easier.

Imho -r parameter is nothing but lazyness of client programmers.. traversing through directories using stat command, is much more convenient way. (client is able to filter unneccessary directories)
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:14 AM   #3
ravis

Damn i really could have used list -r
But thanks for the fast reply and if i can work around the missing list -r i will definitely use ioftpd in the future as i really like what ive seen so far
ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:31 PM   #4
VolVE
FlashFXP Registered User

-r is actually very useful and not regarded as 'lazy', usually.

When you're attempting to calculate the space a site/tree uses on a large site you often times are logged-out for inactivity as you aren't actually transfering anything, simply issuinga lot of CWD commands.

With LIST -r, one simple command can index an entire site/tree without fear of any inactivity issues.

What are you referring to with the STAT / SITE commands abilities darkone?

-VolVE
VolVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:10 PM   #5
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Suggesting "-r" as indexing purposes, is urrh.. not too great idea? As I don't see any reason why non-admin user should have access to create directory index for site. Admin users have enough priviledges to use alternative methods (such as ioB spider feature)

.. and if you ask me what's elegant solution, check how ffxp does it. (it could have skiplists )
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:15 PM   #6
VolVE
FlashFXP Registered User

FlashFXP has an awesome 'Search' feature, but can't be expanded to use SITE commands, only LIST -r.

I live by this command on sites with thousands and thousands of small files. I don't want to index the entire site, I just want to find a file I need.

I don't see why this would be such a giant problem, buffer sizes regardless.

-VolVE
Old 11-05-2003, 04:19 PM   #7
Harm
Too much time...
Ultimate Scripter

You should try latest FlashFXP beta. This one can use STAT -l to search through directories.
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 09:14 AM   #8
VolVE
FlashFXP Registered User

I'm playing with FlashFXP 2.2.936 and yes, Searching can use STAT -l, but it's still only expandable to STAT -lR and not SITE SPIDER, etc.

So, back to my original point, what is actually the technical problem with implementing STAT -lR ?

Personally I love ioFTPD and all the wonderful features it already has, but a couple of things that have become the 'norm' seem to just be missing... and that makes me very sad.

If was get away from the 'only admins should be able to create site index' argument and back to the 'searching through thousands of files is a nightmare without -R' that is my specific point.

-VolVE
Old 11-06-2003, 10:05 AM   #9
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

ioFTPD became very rapidely a leading win32 ftpd not by following other ftpd, but by dark's hard work on making it as stable and as performant as technicaly possible.

LIST -R or STAT -R would break that simple goal. It would make that part of ioFTPD not permormant at all. dark, and many others, don't want that.
What's more, it would take dark's time he could use to do http interface, cache optimizations, and so on.

If you want to search a site, use the site search, site dupe, or any other available scripts to search a site effeciently.
If none of the scripts do what u wanna do, make another script yourself.

dark said many times in the past that he's concentrating on ftpd only features.
All other needs will have to be fulfilled by scripts. I doubt searching through thousands of files would qualify as a ftpd feature.

So in conclusion, use a script, because -R won't be available anytime soon on ioFTPD.
Mouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 09:17 AM   #10
lev

Default VFSLister 1.0.2

This can provide you a file that anyone can download & search for site contents...

http://ftpservertools.tripod.com/downloads.htm
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 02:24 PM   #11
VolVE
FlashFXP Registered User

lev,

Thanks for the try but if I have the time to maintain to VFS files I might as well make a list file manually.

-VolVE
Old 12-07-2003, 11:31 PM   #12
lev

Default why would you maintain it?

Just schedule vfslister to execute on a regular basis =)
lev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advance, ftp, ioftpd, list, recursive

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: