Old 09-18-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
kiezz

Exclamation Flash Fxp + Linux + Wine, why not?

Hi
Flash Fxp is probabily the most perfect ftp client, but is only WinAll , and not for other Os.
But the world is changing, and m$ is blowing up and linux/macosx are growing fast, also for desktop.
Maby is time to think about to enter on new market, supporting/help the wine team or Crossover Office team to make FlashFxp run on Linux in windows emulation.
I use only Linux but i've to use FlashFxp whit wine (oh yeah) but it work not a 100%, is crippled in some function.
Please think about , Wine (www.winehq.org) is a good way to open FlashFxp on a new market whit, i think, a small investiment.
Thanks
Old 09-18-2004, 10:53 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

As the developer of FlashFXP, I don't use linux or wine and I'm not very familiar with either of them. I've heard feedback from linux users who inform me that the compatibility problems with wine are due to limitations in wine.

If there was a way I could work with them to improve support I would but I don't see how I'd be very useful. I heard that WineEx improves compatiblity in some areas while lacking compatiblity in other areas where wine works perfectly. I think if all the wine projects were to merge their code then FlashFXP would work perfectly but I don't see that happening.

FlashFXP v2.1 seems to work much better with wine, in v3.0 we started using virtual list views and I believe wine has some compatibility issues with them.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
chotaire
FlashFXP Scripter

Default vmware

This is a little off-topic, but might be interesting. linux users can still run vmware with e.g. windows 98 and use flashfxp perfectly. it works, it looks good and if you have a fast machine and configure vmware well, it is a kind of perfect solution. just takes some time to start up
Old 09-27-2004, 08:09 AM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default Re: vmware

Quote:
Originally posted by chotaire
This is a little off-topic, but might be interesting. linux users can still run vmware with e.g. windows 98 and use flashfxp perfectly. it works, it looks good and if you have a fast machine and configure vmware well, it is a kind of perfect solution. just takes some time to start up
plus alot of money for VMWARE and Windows licenses, total overkill for an ftp client and inability(or not simple) to transfer files from your linux partition.

people want to use FlashFXP in linux, not just run it

Tags
flashfxp, ftp, fxp, linux, wine