Old 06-28-2004, 12:47 AM   #1
J-J
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default Suggestion

First of all i want to say that the service you currently provide works VERY well! I'm very happy with it and i don't think it's humanly possible to answer the forum posts any quicker :-)

One thing i can think of though is that maybe you should try to get another mailserver? Lately many emails have been bounced or rejected, so maybe some effort should be put into getting another mailserver, or finding another way to reach users by email.

/J-J
Old 06-28-2004, 01:23 AM   #2
Linkster
Administrator

The email problem is a valid concern. we've been trying to find a balance between dealing with the tens of thousands of spam messages we get per day and the valid emails. 98% of our email is spam or virus. We may consider going with a commercial solution if this mailscanner/clamav/spamassassin setup continues to pose problems.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
Mouton
Posse Member
Ultimate Scripter
ioFTPD Administrator

He was talking about outgoing emails Linkster, not incoming.

The problem is the technique used by mail servers.
About a hundred big or small lists exists, mostly freewares, that blocks SMTP servers based on different rules sets.
There is no standard, no universal rules applied by all of them. There is absolutely no way to know how to not be listed in all of them.

Most people receive our emails. Some 1% don't.
We could use another SMTP server, but how would that help ? We would send the same ammount of emails daily, to the same people, containing the same information. So the servers that listed the old SMTP will simply put the new server in the list. There is no end to that.

Simply deleting emails that the server think is spam, before it reach the user, is just plain silly and will never work.

The best way to fight that is to call your ISP and complain that your loosing important emails due to their spam control system. Maybe shout at them a couple of minutes, and get them to provide spam control at the mailbox level, so nothing is lost.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
Raccoon
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

Part of the problem is that trvx's mail server has been blacklisted by sorbs. This has effected a few users from receiving automated registration emails generated by the website, whose ISPs subscribes to the blacklist.

http://www.dnsbl.sorbs.net/cgi-bin/l...P=66.98.228.48

I understand it's something Link is working on to resolve.
Closed Thread

Tags
bounced, emails, mailserver, reach, rejected