Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
reconhead
FlashFXP Registered User

Default New Feature: Tagging of new files. (since last login)

Hi,
Don't know if this is a feature already in progress or already documented; but ...

It would be great if FlashFXP could tag all folders and files newer than "Last Connected" stored in statistics in the Site Manager.

New files could for example have a different background or text being bold .. perhaps even be a checkbox for an optioinal "sort order" with "new files and folders since last login first".

This feature would help a lot on ftp sites with large number of files for instance.

Kind Regards,

/P-tr
Old 11-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Something like this could be done but it needs to be done in a way that appeals to everyone.

I'm not sure if making the text bold would be a good idea as this would conflict with the marked list which uses bold to indicate items in the list.

Changing the background or foreground colors is one option, perhaps have it only change the background color of say the date column, it would be noticeable but not over powering, though on vista and up the column being sorted can't have a custom background color, so if the user was sorting by date it wouldn't work.

I'm not sure if sorting with new files and folders since last login is needed, you can always sort by date with the newest date first and that would give you the same result.

This is defiantly something I'd consider if many customers are interested, we just need to determine the best way to indicate which files/folders are new since the last login.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Nicolai

This would be awesome!
The sort by date is good, but sometimes you can't remember what file you last transferred, so this would be really great.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

This could be a addition to the remote file edit feature, if it remembers what files and directories where last worked on after session close, could work in this manner if remote file edit feature is expanded. Better then adding another feature when there's so many more which take priority.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Changing the item row background color might be the best way to implement this type of feature, however there are some complications when using this method.

If the entire row background is colored and full row select is turned off then the entire item background isn't properly colored when selected.

If full row select is on the problem doesn't occur, but then you can't tell the background color of the items being selected.

Next idea was to color just the modified date column row background, this works fine except when the list is sorted by date, when sorted by a specific column the background is defined by windows and I do not see a way to custom draw it per row.

The original suggestion was to bold the text for the row but this conflicts with the marked list feature.

I welcome some suggestions and feedback on how this feature should work, right now I just don't see a clear and ideal way to implement such a feature.

The visual display is the only thing holding back this feature, the backend code is as simple as
if item.date > site.lastlogin then
apply_special_row_style(item)
Old 06-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

how about a different style of a border around new file lines? instead of dots, can you do maybe slashes? or how about an overlay over a file/folder icon?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
X3
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I know that an overlay icon would be specially difficult, so if you really, really, really have to have a visual indicator it has to be something that will work for color blind people, will be easily spotted and most of all will be optional.

color tagging is out of the question for usability and accessibility reasons and I know this is must be considered.

An elegant solution would be adding slashes or hashes or asterisk or a tick heck even a bullet.

Any other way Im not sure how it would be fluid and user friendly.

In any case the DATE and TIME is a dead give away it may not tell you that file was the last added but it will tell you when it was uploaded all anyone would need is be able to tell the time and know the date.

this is really a user feature, it has little use for Developers and IT managers... If your a developer or a IT manager that needs to know what file was last uploaded I have to question WHY?

Tags
feature, files, flashfxp, ftp, login