Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
danielj23

Lightbulb Feature Request: Customize Systray Icon

I am constantly running 3 or more flashfxp windows which are connected to several different sites. I find that when I go to open one, I have to click on each one until I can find the one I was looking for.

I think that each ftp site in the site manager should have an option that lets us select either a color of the flashfxp icon, or even select one of our own icons file for the system tray. This way each site has a unique icon in the system tray. If I have two flash windows open connected to the same site, I should be able to right click on the system tray icon of one of them, and temporarily change the color of the icon, or the icon itself, to distinguish it from the other flash windows that are open.

At least the tooltip that appears over the flash icon should say which local/remote folder that you are currently resided in on the ftp.

Last edited by danielj23; 09-01-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

You can customize the taskbar caption via Preferences > Transfer > Taskbar Caption. Their are flags here that allow you to ass the to/from site names to the taskbar caption, then you only need to roll over each icon to see which session is which.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
danielj23

That is only during transfers. Many times the ftp is idle and, for example, I complete a compile and go to upload something to my FTP, I have to open each of the flash windows I have open.

The reason being, I have two or three flash windows open, connected to the same server in different folders (both remote and local). So the flash tooltip might tell me which site I am connected to, but not which flash is in which folder. It might sound petty, but it is definitely annoying having to flip through the flash windows to figure out which is which.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Ah, you are right the caption is only usable during transfers. Personally i dont think customizing icons or colors for each site would work as well as you think, not to mention fxp transfers.. how would it know which one to use...

Perhaps a more feasible solution would be a new taskbar caption for 'idle / other' that shows when neither ftp transfer or fxp transfer are active. This would come with some new %flags to help display the useful information in this state (ie %sites that would either show one, two or no names depending on the obvious, %localcwd or similar to show where the local view side (if applicable) is.. could also be use for ftp transfer caption, etc)
Old 09-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #5
danielj23

I believe the limit to most tooltips, unless you do a custom one, is 64 characters, so a tooltip can only give so much information. I think what would be really useful is to have a borderless window appear on a mouse hover over the system tray to display some basic information about the flash session. Check out this example.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

A custom status window is something I've wanted to do for a while now.

Whether or not it will make it into 3.8 I cannot say at this time.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Indeed that would also be a more feasible solution. Not sure on the tooltip limit though, there has to be a predefined api/control that allows longer tooltips because i have seen it countless times in other programs (including system tray, and windows processes themself)... Anyway, im all for the feature though i would request that the fancy visuals be completely optional.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

what happened to ffxp manager you were working on?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

It was abandoned due to lack of user support.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
danielj23

what was ffxp manager?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #11
Barough
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxxCon View Post
what happened to ffxp manager you were working on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
It was abandoned due to lack of user support.

That manager was something i really enjoyed and appreciated. Sad that u decided abandoned it bigstar, but i can also understand ya........ lack of user support is a big deal.

Maybe that u will resurrect is in the 'future'.
- LAN (100/100Mbit)
Closed Thread

Tags
flashfxp, ftp, icon, open, site