Old 08-15-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
Makc666
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Default Customer Portal and New Forum

Customer Portal and New Forum

1. Why Customer Portal and New Forum now have the same passwords? It is not secure!!!

2. Will failed logins be showen in "Customer Portal / Sessions History" as it was in old version?

3. Will news notifications be sent to our emails?

4. Now each login to the forum is shown in "Customer Portal / Sessions History". Because if you want to stay secure, you have to log out every time! Wherefore?
(Refers to point 1)

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Linkster
Administrator

1. To unify everything and make it easier to get support. It is secure. All logins are sent over ssl and stored in an encrypted cookie. What makes it less secure?

2. It does log failed attempts, but its not showing correctly right now for some reason...thanks...we'll fix that!

3. Yes, news notifications will be sent to your email if you select that option in your profile (default is on for news off for file notification i believe)

4. What's your point? It is no more secure to logout every time....in fact unless you are using a public computer, using a cookie is more secure because its only sending a hash.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Makc666
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Linkster, can you garanty me that "Powered by: vBulletin" will not be hacked one day?
It is rhetorical question - you can not answer it. I now that you can't garanty me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkster
1. To unify everything and make it easier to get support. It is secure. All logins are sent over ssl and stored in an encrypted cookie. What makes it less secure?
In old Customer Portal there was no problem to identify me as a registered user. You know this.

Now, when I logged on the forum, I can see my FlashFXP passwords.
Do you realy think that it is wonderfull??

If I will use this forum in some publick place like internet-cafe (I have a right to make so) and some one will still my forum's password (for example with some Key-Logger), who will be responsible for this?

I don't want to prove your company some day, that I never give my forum's password to any one and that it was stolen.

I didn't give any agreement to unify Customer Portal's and vBulletin's passwords, emails and login names.
I don't want Customer Portal to have such "unify" function.

Thanks.
I realy hope that you will understand what I am trying to say.

P.S. Powered by: vBulletin v3.07 - there is a new version already, 3.08
Old 08-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
Smoke
Ultimate Scripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makc666
If I will use this forum in some publick place like internet-cafe (I have a right to make so) and some one will still my forum's password (for example with some Key-Logger), who will be responsible for this?
If you fear that someone keylog you then just do not login, for me, beign keylogged for a forum password or for the nasa password is the same thing, they are both confidential data, the inicom login is not intended to be reduced to a forum, its what it means, a login for the whole site, for all the needed functions.

Besides, we do really understand what you say but you have to understand that we cannot have a different password for each section the user want to join, when u login as an Administrator/root on your machine you are not asked for a password each time you want to delete a file or perform different tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makc666
P.S. Powered by: vBulletin v3.07 - there is a new version already, 3.08
We are notified and are on the process of an upgrade, thank you.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
Makc666
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke
Besides, we do really understand what you say but you have to understand that we cannot have a different password for each section the user want to join
There where only two passwords:
- Customer Portal with all fucntions user need
and
- Forum

I don't want to have a different password for each section, because password for Customer Portal will have all those sections.

I want to have a separate password for Forum as it was before and nothing else!
Old 08-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
Linkster
Administrator

This is not up for discussion. The current system in place is just as secure as the old one and more. The new system has greatly simplified everything for 99% of our users. As far as i'm concerned, there will always be someone more paranoid than another, no matter how secure anything is. For those people, you might as well lock yourself in your house, never come out, never do business, and for goodness sake, NEVER send or receive postal mail or email. We have always been fair and just about accounts being compromised, and will continue to work in the best interest of our clients to deal with such things. With computers, one must simply make a "best effort" at security and learn to deal with the remote chance that something could be compromised, because there will ALWAYS be a new security hole found somewhere.

vbulletin was updated the day the patch was released, but only the security patch was applied, and not the entire upgrade, thus the reason for the version not changing. I am closing this thread. Thanks for your input, but our decision has been made in regard to this "feature".
Closed Thread

Tags
customer, forum, history, portal, secure