Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 09-25-2004, 03:14 PM   #1
JonathonH
FlashFXP Registered User

Default [For v4] Tabbed FTP Browsing

I find it kind of annoying when I have 12 flashfxp's open in the tray, I have to go through each one to edit settings, etc.

You could just make a new window for v4 that manages all the clients in one.. that way there is only ever 1 window open, with many sessions inside. I have a lot of ideas for this, but I gotta run, if people like this idea, ill post some of them for the developers to contemplate.

edit: Offtopic, Why do que files rely on quick connect entries in the site manager? It's kinda annoying that if you have a lot of queus, some fail after a while because it cant find its entry in the site manager due to some constraint for that site manager folder.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Out of curiosity would perfer that all instances shared the same settings so that updating one updated them all?

By having the sites seperate from the queue file it makes updating the site settings easier and it reduces the amount of information stored in the queue file. By default the last 50 sites are remembered, this value can be increased. (Quick Connect > Advanced Tab)

If you use a site often you should add it directly to the Site Manager.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:24 PM   #3
JonathonH
FlashFXP Registered User

I think the .NET model for the permissions hierarchy would work good in the scenerio as well. You would have one global (default) setting, but if you override the setting for the one particular site (temporary/permanent option?), then the site preference takes priority. That way, you can add a global download/uplooad speed cap to all instances of FlashFXP at once, instead of manually having to decide on an equal setting for all windows, then apply this cap to them all.

The reason I ask about the que file is, because I was planning on writing a small app to make a que file for some circumstances. I just realized I can get around my problem by writing an entry in the quick.dat file before the que file is made. If your interested in my idea, I can PM you it, but 99% of FlashFXP users will have no use for it, so I doubt its worth wasting your time developing it.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:02 PM   #4
JonathonH
FlashFXP Registered User

If all possible, could you shed some light on how the values for a quick.dat are generated? Specifically, the Options and Created values (and/or the algorithm for "encrypting" the password).

Also, am I able to change the value inside the square brackets and will it affect the way FlashFXP reads it? (It looks like its just a way of creating a unique name, but I want to make sure).

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:25 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I don't have the options string documented in a way that would be useful to you. I have a special class that handles setting/reading those values and I currently don't have the time to explain it.

The site name within the brackets is very specific.

It must be the current time/date in TDateTime format, This value is a floating point. Invalid values will cause unpredictable results and maybe even crash FlashFXP.

Followed by ASCII (3), this is used as a seperator.

Followed by the IP/DNS address of the site entry.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:24 AM   #6
JonathonH
FlashFXP Registered User

Alright thanks for that bit of info. What I guess I will do for now, is just make an entry in the quick.list using a common options string. Then if the user needs to change the site options (pasv/etc), I'll have them do it manually via FlashFXP.

I should mention though; when I tested making a manual que, by loading in the 'Restore Que' window the que I made by making a quick.dat entry called test (in the square brackets--> [test]) and then referencing it in the queue as test; everything seemed to connect and transfer fine. So I'm wondering if this is fluke or if it was somehow fixed since the last time you tested it?

Hmm, never realized FlashFXP was written in Delphi, lol. I hope the .NET System.DateTime is a good enough "migration type" that FlashFXP won't break.

Thanks again for the help so far.

//edit: One more quick question, for the 2 numbers before the site entry (seperated by ASCII (1)) .. I've figured out the second digit is the destination (3 = local, assuming 1 = left fxp, 2 = right fxp). In terms of the first digit, from what I can tell, its the order it was queued? If i were to queue a folder, it becomes 0. When FlashFXP reads the folder and then goes on to queue the contents of that directory, all the files become 0 as well. If I would of queued a second folder, it would have become 1? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:55 AM   #7
Martin Andersen

I where just about to post the EXACT same ideer... but ofcause did a quick search before posting!!

This is a very cool feature if this can be included...

Maybe try look at the Mozilla Firefox browser, it is very userfreindly in the interface!!

Hope you will include tabbed Browsing

http://www.3d-designer.dk/fxp_v4_foreslag.jpg
Old 10-25-2004, 02:44 PM   #8
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Screen shot was kinda un needed, i think we all know what tabbed browsing means. Anyway, if it is ever added to a future version, my only desire would be the option to enable/disable it if possible. While sometimes tabbed is nice, other times/situations i prefer the completely seperate sessions as they are now.

Tags
find, ftp, manager, site, window