Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 08-31-2004, 06:55 AM   #1
lax
FlashFXP Registered User

Default "Quick Connect" stops connection

When you connect to a site, and flash is running through the connection dialogue with the server & receiving the welcome message etc., if you then click on the quick connect button on the other side (to set up an fxp transfer) everything freezes while the dropdown menu is active. Is this something that can be easily fixed, or is it not worth the hassle? It slows down the entire operation & is sort of annoying.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:10 AM   #2
phyber
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

This is by design, since FlashFXP isn't multi-threaded. A search for multi-threading will reveal other posts about such issues and may answer questions about "When will FlashFXP become multi-threaded".
Old 08-31-2004, 07:25 AM   #3
lax
FlashFXP Registered User

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with multi-threading as far as I can see. I'm talking about the fact that all activity freezes while the quick-connect drop-down menu is dropped. I don't mean during a transfer (since while downloading, the 2nd quick connect menu is unavailable), but during logon. As soon as you select the 2nd site to which you want to connect it resumes... it's not a question of having multiple threads to a single site, I'm talking about setting up a single connection to another site so as to be able to fxp between sites. It makes such connections perfectly well. One does not need to wait until you are fully logged in & have received a 'list' etc before selecting the 2nd site -- which to me demonstrates that the issue has nothing to do with multithreading. I know that flash only sends one command at a time, so that it's communicating with one server & then the other while fxping (I'm assuming that's correct anyway), but it has no problem with handling those specifics -- for instance, if I load a queued fxp session, it connects to each site in turn just fine.. It's just that while the quick connect menu (on the side opposite the one that's in the process of connecting) is active ("dropped"), the ongoing connection/transfer stops. No server messages are sent or received while that menu is active. As soon as you 'retract' the drop-down menu, whether by selecting a 2nd site to which you wish to connect or whether by simply re-clicking the quick connect button and not choosing a 2nd site at all, activity resumes.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:46 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Actually DivideByZero is correct.

Since the socket processing occurs in the main application thread any events that block will cause the socket to delay until the current event has completed.

Navigating a menu during login is a very good way to see this behavior.

There is no way to over come this problem.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:53 AM   #5
lax
FlashFXP Registered User

I see. So I take it that once, for example, one selects options>preferences, the multi-tabbed dialog box that pops up at that point is no longer operating in the 'main application thread', but is a 'child' thread or whatever (I don't really know what those terms mean, I'm just guessing), which is why one may freely navigate the various tabs etc of the preferences dialog without affecting other activity?

Tags
connect, connection, fxp, menu, quick