Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 08-11-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
seanr
FlashFXP Registered User

Default SCP support

Would it be possible to add secure copy support as an additional option for servers? Basically, I want a FlashFXP interface to SSH directory listings and SCP transfers. We're being required to turn off FTP on one of our servers and it is going to be an absolute fricking NIGHTMARE to use SCP without some kind of graphical interface. If it is possible to integrate that into FlashFXP, it'd be a far better option then having to use two different programs even if there is a graphical SCP client out there somewhere.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
phyber
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Foundation User

If you would have searched the forum, you would see this has been requested and discussed many times.
See here for a list of SSH/SCP/SFTP discussions.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
seanr
FlashFXP Registered User

Sorry, I sent that on the way out the door for lunch and didn't have time to dig through the search. Even if I had done that, I probably would have posted this message anyway, as you guys do not seem to have actually acted on any of those previous requests and it's obvious that there's been a fair amount of demand for it for quite some time.

With more and most hosts ditching FTP because the FTP server programmers can't be bothered to fix their farking security holes, we need an alternative for SCP/SFTP that works as well as FlashFXP does for FTP. It's all about file transfer, so it only seems logical to integrate the two, even if SCP/SFTP aren't directly FTP related.

No one else has done this to my knowledge, so there's probably a whole new market FlashFXP could break into. One thing is gauranteed, though - not doing so will end up costing FlashFXP customers in the future.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:17 PM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally posted by seanr
Even if I had done that, I probably would have posted this message anyway, as you guys do not seem to have actually acted on any of those previous requests and it's obvious that there's been a fair amount of demand for it for quite some time.
requests work just like a button on an elevator. pushing it many times won't make elevator come any faster. it will happen when it will happen. not sooner, nor later. making a request once is enough. bigstar will analyze it's viability, and other factors(especially for something major as totally new protocol) and add it to his to do list.
Quote:
No one else has done this to my knowledge, so there's probably a whole new market FlashFXP could break into.
WinSCP
Old 08-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
seanr
FlashFXP Registered User

I disagree with your first statement. Part of the decision process for introducing new features is based on the demand for those features. If there were little or no demand, you wouldn't implement it. We obviously have an interest in making sure you are fully aware of the demand so you don't write it off as an unneeded feature.

As for WinSCP, FileZilla and the various other graphical SFTP clients I have found, not a single damned one of them supports bookmarks at all, let alone the ability to save local and remote folders in a single bookmark like FlashFXP has. That is infuriating, as I've got one server with many sites hosted on the same server and many foolders buried deep within those sites that I access nearly every day. I have to have a fast way to access those folders. No program other than FlashFXP offers that, which is why I bought FlashFXP in the first place.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:52 AM   #6
seanr
FlashFXP Registered User

FWIW, I just found an FTP to SFTP bridge called Tunnelier:

http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier.html

That is allowing me to use FlashFXP, so at least I don't have to put up with an inferior SFTP client, but I'm still going to have to spend $40 on Tunnelier unless you guys add SFTP natively in the next 30 days.

I'd suggest you put some kind of note about this option on the web site - I actually only found it by accident, so a lot of people are not likely to ever even know about it.

Tags
flashfxp, ftp, scp, servers, support