Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 07-30-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
stisev

Default FlashFXP 3.0 Final (Incredible annoyance)

I can't believe no one has suggested this! I searched with no luck.

Version is 3.0 Build 1015.

I use to use FileZilla but FlashFXP handles queues and large amounts of files much better. Plus, it has a few features I appreciate.

There are some drawbacks to the program that I can't believe exist!

DEVELOPER: Can you respond whether you think these are code-worthy features?

Here's the list:

1.) Allow us to remove the local browser. I can't believe we're not able to remove it.

2.) Allow us to remove the top toolbar (*completely*). Remove the entire toolbar, not just a few buttons

3.) ANNOYING: What's with this "My Computer" "QuickConnect" and "FlashFXP" folder poop? I can't edit or delete any of it? Can you allow us to completely edit/delete/rename as the user wishes? FileZilla gives us such an option and I'm sure it's something a lot of people would like.

Please let me know what you think. Good work so far.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:53 AM   #2
Raccoon
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

The local browser is required to select the destination of files being downloaded. Noone has ever suggested it should be removed until now.

The toolbar perhaps, but unlikely. Most/all people use it.

The folders "My Computer" "Quick Connect" and "FlashFXP" are symbolic and are not real Sites folders.

"My Computer" is decretive and represents the collection of all your sites.
"Quick Connect" is the parent of your Quick Connect history, which are temporarily stored sites. It exists so you can move sites from your Quick Connect history into your real Sites list.
"FlashFXP Sites" is the parent of your Sites list, which are all the sites you have perminently saved to FlashFXP. Thus, the name.

These will not change or become changable.

- Eric
Old 07-30-2004, 07:33 PM   #3
stisev

Quote:
The local browser is required to select the destination of files being downloaded. Noone has ever suggested it should be removed until now.
The local browser is not required. One can drag files from explorer.exe, which is precisely what tens of thousands of users typically do with FileZilla.

Quote:
The toolbar perhaps, but unlikely. Most/all people use it.
If people have requested it, can this be added?

Quote:
"My Computer" is decretive and represents the collection of all your sites.
"Quick Connect" is the parent of your Quick Connect history, which are temporarily stored sites. It exists so you can move sites from your Quick Connect history into your real Sites list.
"FlashFXP Sites" is the parent of your Sites list, which are all the sites you have perminently saved to FlashFXP. Thus, the name.

These will not change or become changable.
Why? It's a legitamate question.

If you truly want to build a powerful FTP client, giving the user ultimate control over such items is paramount. Why dismiss it without regard?

Old 07-30-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
kimaje
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
1.) Allow us to remove the local browser. I can't believe we're not able to remove it.
Why its ftp client not a download manager.

Quote:
2.) Allow us to remove the top toolbar (*completely*). Remove the entire toolbar, not just a few buttons
Yeah, I use them and a lot to. Keep it simple and efficient, I say.

Quote:
3.) Can you allow us to completely edit/delete/rename as the user wishes?
Why all this edit/delete/rename is will get to complex( All the dialog, check boxs, menus, to allow edit/delete/rename), I see FlashFXP as mozilla, simple, functional and efficient. I think the word you are looking for is themes(Like in form as an xml, template ini..).
I like the clean, simple and efficient layout, but i wouldnt mind if ppl want themes and is gets implemented, Ill be happy if I can keep the simple layout as it is.

And the "theme feature" would solve all your problems.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:34 PM   #5
neoxed
Too much time...
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Scripter

Keep in mind that what might be a useful suggestion or feature to one, could be an annoyance to another, which is why developers must use some discretion before implementing new features. Ask yourself: Is it useful? Is it necessary? Will the majority like it? Will they use it? If you can *truthfully* answer yes to these questions, perhaps it is a worthy feature.

Personally, I don't agree with removing the local browser or toolbar; but to each his own.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:06 PM   #6
stisev

[quote]Keep in mind that what might be a useful suggestion or feature to one, could be an annoyance to another, which is why developers must use some discretion before implementing new features. Ask yourself: Is it useful? Is it necessary? Will the majority like it? Will they use it? If you can *truthfully* answer yes to these questions, perhaps it is a worthy feature.[/qupte]

I honestly believe that at least removing those stupid quicklaunch/my computer/and allowing rename for that folder is worth the trouble.

Remember that these are not "themes". They're features (not turned on by default, obviously).

What possible negative is there to having them in the program?
Old 07-30-2004, 11:34 PM   #7
slash
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally posted by stisev
What possible negative is there to having them in the program?
The most obvious one is that it'll cost Bigstar a bunch of time that he could have spent working on a more popular feature. Or relaxing.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:35 AM   #8
stisev

Quote:
Originally posted by slash
The most obvious one is that it'll cost Bigstar a bunch of time that he could have spent working on a more popular feature. Or relaxing.
Granted I don't have that much experience with programming, but how hard could it be to just implement a menu option to remove the toolbar or even allow the deletion of the other stuff.

Besides, what other "popular feature" is there?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:24 AM   #9
slash
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally posted by stisev
Besides, what other "popular feature" is there?
Tabbed windows is a popular request
Old 07-31-2004, 04:06 PM   #10
kimaje
FlashFXP Registered User

Yeah, Tabbed windows would be nice.... !
Old 08-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #11
Schmoove
FlashFXP Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by slash
I doubt that.....
As far as I can see the toolbar is on a panel (or something like that). A simple statement in the code as this should do the trick:
Code:
panel_Toolbar->Hide();
An easy to implement feature.
Personally I don't see the need for it, but it isn't rocket science to implement such a feature.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:13 AM   #12
stisev

^^ owned ^^

Tags
3.0, features, flashfxp, remove, toolbar