Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 11-24-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
liiight

Default Caching of folder sizes

Something that i would love to see, is caching of folders when getting ready to transfer a queue.

I mean that the program would actually open each of the folders in the queue and retrieve the exact size of it, for more exact transfer time estimation. It should also check the files themselves using the skip list and file exist rules, for a perfect size estimation of the transfer.

Naturally some people won't need or like the delay in the trasnfer because of this option, so this should be optional.

p.s

i seareched before i posted this, so i'm sorry if someone had already suggested this.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:12 AM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

right click in queue window, advanced, expand folder/expand all folders
Old 11-25-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
Human

it exists but too bad you have to do it by hand. should be in options to tick it as expand all folders before download
Old 11-25-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
liiight

hey, didn't know that feature existed, thanks.

another thing, is that it doesn't calculate using the "file exist" and "skip list" options.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:45 AM   #5
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Sort of on the same subject... i think it would be nice if folder sizes were included in the selected files information (ie. when you select a bunch of folders it would show the combined size)... atm this only works with files.

I'm not entirely sure if there is any standard to the format in which folder sizes are reported amung the ftpd's that do support it (mostly nix/bsd), but for the most part its always in bytes so it would be nice to include it in the calculation when relevent.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayCuts
I'm not entirely sure if there is any standard to the format in which folder sizes are reported amung the ftpd's that do support it (mostly nix/bsd), but for the most part its always in bytes so it would be nice to include it in the calculation when relevent.
actually in my experience servers do not accurately report dir size...just like when you do 'ls -al' from nix shells.
and there is no easy/standard way to know if a server is reporting an accurate size or not.

the only reliable way is to 'expand' queue so you count actual existing files
Old 11-30-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
DayCuts
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I have experience with a number of ftpd's that as far as i can tell are fairly accurate, glftpd and drftpd namely are the ones that have always reported correctly in my experience. ioftpd also support the display of dir sizes... although i dont have a lot of experience with io it does seem to be on some sort of update timer or delay which makes new dirs sometimes inaccurate (im guessing while the listing is still in the server side cache or something, but really couldn't say).

As far as others go with inaccuracy/inconsistancy... i've not noticed anything myself but havn't looked into it much on other servers, most seem to either return 0 or a binary multiple of kb (approx 2,4,8 etc).. both of corse indicating that the feature isn't implemented.

Just to clarify, i wasn't suggesting those sizes be used in the queue/fxp time calculation in any way.. just used in the status line below the remote file listing where it tells you the number of files/folders you have selected and the bytes your selection adds up to.

Maybe more client side use of these would encourage more ftpd's to implement it correctly (or infact the underlying os to fix the bug, in the cases where it may be the distribution thats returning the wrong information).

Anyway, just thought i'd make the suggestion since its crossed my mind several times in the past while working with selections, could always be optional (with note about accuracy).. if indeed enough others are interested for it to be concidered.

Tags
caching, exact, folders, queue, transfer