Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 11-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
NemolaN

Default Persistent queue and multiple destination server

First of all, sorry for my poor english

I'm the release manager in a internet software company, so I need to publish files to the production servers.

My problem is I have a transfer queue with several files and I need to synchronize all servers with the same files. The queue disappears after the first transfer so I need to make a backup queue for the next transfer. The execution of the queue in the command shell is not a clean solution because I need to edit the queue to change the target server, exit flashfxp, execute the command and then return to the program to re-edit the queue.

Changing the target server is a very valuable opcion, but must be complemented with an option to make the queue persistent to be more functional.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

queue up files for all servers and then just save that queue file.
next time you just load it and hit "transfer"
Old 11-20-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
NemolaN

the same 50+ files uploaded to 18 servers.. and of course almost every file in a different folder... I'm talking about web pages updates, so every time the updates are not the same
Old 11-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

in that case queue up parent dir?
Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
NemolaN

I'll try to be more clear..

suppose yo have to manage the updates of a large web site application, with a few thowsand files distributed in a very complex filesystem tree

yo have to update a few files, say 50. These files are spread in the filesystem, so you cannot simply enqueue a folder and try to transfer the root directory to the 18 servers at the same time will be equivalent to be finding a new job.

So the solution is to generate a queue with each file pointing to its respective remote target and then transfer the file....

but, omg!!! I need to repeat the same operation for the 18 servers, and flashfxp simply delete the queue each time I transfer it... so I need to backup it each time I wish to synchronize another server, a very painful operation.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:42 AM   #6
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Quote:
try to transfer the root directory to the 18 servers at the same time will be equivalent to be finding a new job.
but if you have 'file exist' rules properly setup, you'll transfer only files that are different, instead of the whole site.
ctrl+shift+q will allow you to queue up the same file multiple times, and then ctrl-e will allow you to edit source or destination properties.

if you constantly need to update 18 exactly the same sites, perhaps you should look into more robust replication system than manual file upload?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
Linkster
Administrator

Keep watching this site for a beta of an upcoming toolset which will make your wishes our command ...soon
Old 11-21-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
NemolaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxxCon
but if you have 'file exist' rules properly setup, you'll transfer only files that are different, instead of the whole site.
ctrl+shift+q will allow you to queue up the same file multiple times, and then ctrl-e will allow you to edit source or destination properties.

if you constantly need to update 18 exactly the same sites, perhaps you should look into more robust replication system than manual file upload?

I had to set the option "Auto Overwrite" as some files containt typo corrections btw the file size don't change....
Old 11-21-2006, 07:23 AM   #9
NemolaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkster
Keep watching this site for a beta of an upcoming toolset which will make your wishes our command ...soon
Great!!

Tags
files, flashfxp, queue, server, transfer