Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 05-05-2002, 08:16 PM   #1
morphayus

Default nagging irritation...

one thing that's always bugged me, and i've never really thought about it until now, is the fact that flashfxp ceases all activity if you're moving one of the scroll bars, or if you're accessing a menu item. why can't you just make it so that neither will interfere with the program doing it's business?
Old 05-05-2002, 08:33 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

That's a design issue, if we ever rewrite FlashFXP (I say IF because we had planned to rewrite it last year and it never happened) the re-write will not have this problem. until then there's nothing we can do.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:53 AM   #3
morphayus

wow... that's a seemingly large boo-boo on your guys' parts
i sure do love flashfxp though!
when you originally started designing the program, what was your error in logic that created this snaffu? and also... just how difficult would a re-write be, on a scale of 1-10? i have a pretty firm understanding of the c language... just a brief explanation would be cool sorry if i come off sounding jerkish... but it's just my curiousity speaking.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:53 AM   #4
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

well it has to do with seperating the ftp engine from the GUI, using threads or asyncronized sockets with an event based design.

Believe it or not FlashFXP was the first program I ever wrote in Borland Delphi. everything was new to me, I learned from my mistakes. I never expected FlashFXP to become so big. It started out as just a proof of concept idea to see if I could do it.

If I could do it all over again there are many changes that I would make.

Unfortunately I don't have the time for such a huge undertaking.

Perhaps the re-write would be developed by a team of programmers rather than just myself. It's the only realistic way I see it ever getting done.

Programming started out as a hobby, I never intended it to turn it into a full time job. When it comes to the business side of it, It's just not any fun.

Tags
accessing, bars, item, menu, scroll