Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 04-22-2002, 08:21 PM   #1
akisok2

Lightbulb How about random intervals?

Hello.

Like many of you, I hate having to set my retries to a designated interval (like 120 sec or so) when trying to get on a server so as to avoid a hammering ban. With so many people trying to get on the same server as me, and all of us setting our retries at 60 or 120 second intervals, it seems that I am missing opportunities to get on between intervals.

What I suggest is this: how about adding an option in the preferences section that allows users to select a minimum and maximum retry interval (say between 120 and 160 seconds) so that Flash FXP will retry at random intervals that do not threaten a hammering ban? Seems that such a feature would improve the likelihood of individuals getting on a server.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:55 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

this is an interesting idea, we will consider this for future versions.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:49 PM   #3
MidKnight
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

thats sounds like a nice idea to me
Old 04-23-2002, 12:53 AM   #4
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

I dont see the point really... your worried about everyone trying at once because everyone is set at say 120 seconds... however everyone wont have tried to connect all at the same time, thus each attempt will be different for people anyway..

Maybe being an admin makes me think different, who knows.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:53 AM   #5
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

yes, but w/ fix interval everything will try to connect in "exactly" same order.
having random interval will somewhat "shuffle" user order.

i'm not sure if statisticly this will improve your chance of connecting tho .
Old 04-23-2002, 12:14 PM   #6
akisok2

Thumbs up

All good observations... To the sys admin who didn't think it would make much difference since not everyone is trying to connect at the same time anyway, you have a good point. However, as one of the other posts points out, you have a statistically greater chance of connecting at a random interval than at a set interval, the reason being that people will not finish using a particular ftp site at an identifiable, repetitive interval. What I mean by that is, users already on an ftp will not log off at nice intervals (like 120 sec). Windows of opportunity will open at completely random intervals (not entirely random though, because of the factorability of bandwidth... but that's another topic) and your chance at maximizing one of those opportunities will be greatest if you attempt to connect at equally random intervals.

Anyway, it was just an idea I had. It may only slightly improve your chances of getting ona site, but even a little bit of an improvement might be nice.

Overall though, I love FlashFXP!
Old 05-03-2002, 11:30 AM   #7
Ethanol
FlashFXP Registered User

Statistically, you'd have more chance of connecting if you try to connect once every 120 seconds, than once every 120 to 160 seconds (averaging 140 seconds difference per attempt).

It will improve your chances on few occassions, but on average your connection chances will be lessened.

Basically, how can you say that less connection attempts will result in a higher connection rate?

Tags
120, ban, hammering, intervals, server