Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 02-02-2002, 05:12 AM   #1
zombus

Smile Visible passwords ; Transfer/Queue as

Hi,

Two simple suggestions:

1. Visible passwords option will enable you to confirm there's no typo there.

2. Bring back "Transfer As" and "Queue As" please!
This was the function that convinced me to buy FlashFXP.
Fantastic user friendliness. Yes, I know it was replaced with "SaveAs" but no one will find it instinctively anymore.
Also the Shift right click is confusing: first right click then Shift then scroll... If you Shift first you get system's menu instead of Flash's.

Thanks for your time,
zombus
Old 02-02-2002, 10:10 AM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Default Re: Visible passwords ; Transfer/Queue as

Transfer As / Queue As will be added back in the next release, We're not liking the shift click method either.
Old 02-02-2002, 04:29 PM   #3
zombus

Default Re: Re: Visible passwords ; Transfer/Queue as

Quote:
Originally posted by bigstar
Transfer As / Queue As will be added back in the next release, We're not liking the shift click method either.
Glad to hear it BS, very glad!

How about the visible password function?
I found it very helpful to see the password as I type it and to be able to check it up later on, I've got thick fingers
SmartFtp has this function, as you probably know...
Old 02-02-2002, 10:20 PM   #4
loadet

visible password isent good for security reasons ... but mabye as a option where you could chose it see it or not wouldent harm ...

.. security for the password's stored in flashfxp wouldet be a bad idea either ... atm you can get several programs that extract the passwords in a sec .. would be nice if they were encrypted better
Old 02-03-2002, 02:36 AM   #5
Shark
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Yes for security... I believe the password should remain ***'s and never be able to have the option of having words (could cause problems, unless FFXP admin options was always password protected) ... in anycase, it is not hard to type a word twice, if it is, id buy a typing program

Also, I agree with loadet that the passwords should be encrypted as well as possible (of course within your means bigstar )
Old 02-03-2002, 09:10 AM   #6
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

the only 100% secure encrpytion would be one where the user enters a password which is used to secure the data.

The problem with this is shared computers or computers where co-workers have access. With the above idea in place, If the information is not password protected, someone else using your computer could password protect your sites without your permission and lock you out.

For personal use where no one else uses the computer this isn't a problem, however FlashFXP is used in a lot of shared computer enviorments and they might not be keen to see this type of feature.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:30 AM   #7
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

One alternative is to add checks to see if Flashfxp is installed in a multi-user environment, and separate the settings so that some can only be changed by an administrator.
Old 02-03-2002, 12:36 PM   #8
zombus

Yep, that's right.
For a multi usage environment an admin control function is desireable anyway, to be able to set what exactlly allowed to whom.

The visible password function as such will not increase hacking vulnerability. It does increase user friendliness though.
Old 02-03-2002, 03:04 PM   #9
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I have never worked with multi-user environments, how exactly does that work under win9x/me? I will have to put this on my list of things to learn about
Old 02-03-2002, 03:17 PM   #10
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

Heheheh.. How bout this then? Let's gently squeeze people a bit. Limit the ability to see passwords and other potentially "bad" options to those OS' with near multi-user environments, ie. Win2000 and NT/XP.

Tags
click, passwords, saveas, shift, visible