Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 05-05-2004, 04:18 AM   #1
wari

Default ipv6 ?? most sad that u dont have that :(

clearly this is the future.. I cant see why u dont have the support.. must annoying thing about this client... and the reason I started to use smartftp
Old 05-05-2004, 05:56 AM   #2
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

You're right, is the future, not the present. According to the IPv6 Information Page there are a ridiculous number of IPv6 enabled Web/FTP/Irc sites compared with IPv4 ones. Yes, that list is outdated but i'm sure that an updated one won't reflect an enormous growth of IPv6 sites.

IPSec, 'cool' IPv6 addresses and IPv6-over-IPv4 are nice things but in my opinion isn't 'critical' to implement IPv6 support on a program (irc, ftp, etc) now because only a 0.0x % of users will need/use it.

By the way, i've checked this page of SmartFTP's knowledge base and according to it there're only six (6) Public IPv6 FTP Servers ... are you really telling us that you stopped using FlashFXP for those six public servers?, c'mon ...
Old 05-10-2004, 07:44 AM   #3
bRaNcO

whats the advantage of using IPv6?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Quote:
Originally posted by bRaNcO
whats the advantage of using IPv6?
According to this article:

Bigger address space

The bigger address space IPv6 offers is the most obvious enhancement it has over IPv4. While today's Internet architecture is based on 32-bit wide addresses, the new version has 128-bit technology available for addressing. Thanks to the enlarged address space, workarounds like NAT don't have to be used anymore. This allows full, unconstrained IP connectivity for today's IP-based machines as well as upcoming mobile devices like PDAs and cell phones -- all will benefit from full IP access through GPRS and UMTS.

Mobility

When mentioning mobile devices and IP, it's important to note that a special protocol is needed to support mobility, and implementing this protocol -- called "Mobile IP" -- is one of the requirements for every IPv6 stack. Thus, if you have IPv6 going, you have support for roaming between different networks, with global notification when you leave one network and enter the other one. Support for roaming is possible with IPv4 too, but there are a number of hoops that need to be jumped in order to get things working. With IPv6, there's no need for this, as support for mobility was one of the design requirements for IPv6. See [RFC3024] for some more information on the issues that need to be addressed with Mobile IP on IPv4.

Security

Besides support for mobility, security was another requirement for the successor to today's Internet Protocol version. As a result, IPv6 protocol stacks are required to include IPsec. IPsec allows authentication, encryption, and compression of IP traffic. Except for application-level protocols like SSL or SSH, all IP traffic between two nodes can be handled without adjusting any applications. The benefit of this is that all applications on a machine can benefit from encryption and authentication, and that policies can be set on a per-host (or even per-network) basis, not per application/service. An introduction to IPsec with a roadmap to the documentation can be found in [RFC2411], the core protocol is described in [RFC2401].

About IPv6 addresses: with IPv4 it could be 2^32 IPs (4.294.967.296) and with IPv6 that number increases to 2^128 (3.402823669 e38).

One example: the IPv4 address 193.110.128.200 will be 2002:0450:0009:0010:0000:0000:0000:0071 in IPv6 or 2002:450:9:10::71 (abbreviatted).
Old 05-10-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
bRaNcO

thanks by the info

doesnt seem to have a great advantage to the common user though...
Old 05-27-2004, 06:45 AM   #6
wari

Quote:
Originally posted by DYN_DaTa
You're right, is the future, not the present. According.... ....Public IPv6 FTP Servers ... are you really telling us that you stopped using FlashFXP for those six public servers?, c'mon ...
six? in the whole world? well in Estonia, since we are so small, we are always into new things, and using ipv6 gives advanages in some (we only have some) semi-public (estonia only) ftp servers
advantages = much bigger speed, and no waiting.

P.S. I actually dont like smart, and if I dont need to use ipv6 I'm using flashFXP.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:18 AM   #7
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

I don't really know how many public IPV6 ftp servers there're on the world, i was talking about two sources: SmartFTP's knowledge base and the IPV6 group (if the info of those sites is outdated or incorrect flame them ).

I know that IPv6 will be the next big 'boost' of the Internet but i consider that's very soon to start demanding IPV6 FTP clients, due to the extremly low number of public IPV6 FTP servers around the world and the fact that (if i'm not wrong) most of the connections to those servers are through IPv4 to IPv6 tunneling (there are even a lower number of people that have real IPv6 addresses asigned by an ISP).
Old 05-27-2004, 01:17 PM   #8
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Adding ipv6 support to FlashFXP would be a difficult task, there are numerious issues that are created by adding support. Currently we have no plans on adding ipv6 support to FlashFXP.

Soon we will be starting on a Pro version of FlashFXP and more than likely the Pro version will support ipv6. The Pro version will be a complete rewrite of FlashFXP.

Tags
annoying, client, smartftp, started, thing