Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 03-08-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
BlayzeX

Default Folder Encryption Type

Ok.. when peeps run servers... they have directories and files..... what would be nice is an option that would allow you to ENCRYPT the FOLDERS adn FILE NAMES..... if someone was to just go on your hard drive adn look at them they would see crap folder names not obvious things... but when you open flash fxp and provide the CORRECT STRING for that server, then when flashfxp loads the names of the DIRECTORIES and FILES it automatically decrypts it...........if the server has the option checked and provides the correct string..

A.K.A... so if someone goes onto your server and they look at your harddrive...your SITE folder contains directories that instead of saying MY STUFF says.... HG WDSDA... and can be decrypted... This helps against hackers if they get into your server and they see DIrectories with crap names and files with crap names.. they don't know what it is, and probably won't bother with it...

of course what this means is another Tab on each SERVER that has an option for a STRING.... and also a TOOL so you can type in the string and enter in the TEXT and it OUTPUTS the TITLE ENCRYPTED so you can change the FOLDER name to the encrypted....

If this doesn't make since... then i will kinda re-explain..

Blayze81@yahoo.com
Old 03-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

i think that question should be directed to whatever ftp server you are running and not flashfxp..
Old 03-08-2004, 10:10 PM   #3
BlayzeX

hmmm, but then how would FLASH FXP read the changed folder names..... then anyone who got in would be able to read if a script was produced........ see this way... it makes it harder... you have to know the string.

I'm not saying by anymeans ENCRYPT data.... i'm saying kinda like RENAMING the files based on the string so that they look like crap instead of what its supposed to.... when people just look at the actual file contents... but if you FLASH FXP into the site with the correct string it DECRYPTS.. displays the actual folder names and files and also when you download decrypts the file name back to the original based on the string...........

if a script was used for a site then yes to the person who just searches the hard drive it would look like crap, but anyone who hacked in ..... the script would automatically through FTP allow them to see the files normally..

blayze81@yahoo.com
Old 03-08-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
MidKnight
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

you need to direct your question/suggestion to an FTPD, the only one i know of with this type of feature is *COUGH* raidenftpd *COUGHT*. i can't say it still has the feature, but it used too, then you simply would run an ftp command to encypt or decypt the files.

apart from that this has nothing to do with flashfxp
Old 03-09-2004, 01:28 AM   #5
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

it is still question to ftp server, not client
since the server will have to "encrypt" those dir names and then create virtual file system with correct names

but i don't really see the point of this "protection"
if somebody obtained physical or administrative access to the system, encrypting file names should the last thing to worry about
Old 03-09-2004, 01:50 AM   #6
MidKnight
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

you just repeated yourself mx, and didn't i already say its a FTPD question?

Tags
directories, folder, names, server, string