Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 04-08-2003, 04:14 AM   #1
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Default An idea I had - Feedback needed

I'm not a very good webmaster so I need all you true guru's out there to give me feedback on this idea. I was thinking that perhaps there should be a transfer filter mask so you can limit a transfer to specific file masks.

Sometimes you may want to download your website as backup but you really don't want to download 200mb of zips, you just want the php files.

The FTP file search will allow you to d/l just the php files however it doesn't recreate the folder structure, Perhaps there could be a way to queue the files so that the structure remains intact.

I am interested in your feedback.

Do you think this is a good or bad idea?
Would you use it?
How do you think it should function?
Old 04-08-2003, 04:38 AM   #2
Raccoon
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Foundation User

I think this is a good idea, as was suggested by someone in a thread just a week ago. I'm all for it.

Better question is, what ideas do you have for implementing this... or rather, how simple/complex do you want this feature to be? Are standard glob masks enough? how about regular expressions?

If it were up to me and I had the time and motivation, I would take this opportunity to completely redo the "Filters" section into a single unified list. It just appears to contain so many redundancies, or perhaps it's simply the Tabulated layout.

Another consideration to make is the ability to Save/Load some of these settings, or start migrating more into Site Specific settings. For me, I find it very time consuming to constantly add and remove items to the skiplist depending on the site I'm on.

What do you have in mind?

- Raccoon
Old 04-08-2003, 04:46 AM   #3
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Ah, I missed that thread.

Right now I have nothing in mind. I'm totally open to ideas. A simple solution will probably make it into the next public release (non-beta), something more complex will simply be added to the to-do list. As far as regex, I doubt we'll go that far. simple file masks should be more than sufficient.

As for a per-site skiplist, I agree and this is already on the to-do list. However please keep this thread on topic.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:11 AM   #4
Jay

Default Re: An idea I had - Feedback needed

Quote:
Originally posted by bigstar
Perhaps there could be a way to queue the files so that the structure remains intact.
I would say that this should be a must. It wouldn't really help a whole lot to have all the right files but in the wrong place, would be quicker to go in with SmartFTP and move the zip files to a new directory on the server before starting the transfer.

Keeping that in mind, structure preservation should be a priority if you plan on implementing this great idea
Old 04-08-2003, 11:55 AM   #5
Linkster
Administrator

Just wanted to say that i would LOVE a feature like this.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:14 PM   #6
Equ1n0x

same here, good idea, would be very handy

Tags
feedback, files, idea, structure, transfer