Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 01-07-2002, 09:03 PM   #1
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Default Translation of FlashFXP

Well, first of all sorry if this thread has been already discused in this forum. I think that it will be a good idea if FlashFXP could be translated into another languages.

For example, if the translation it's based only in translate plain text it will be very easy to translate the whole program. I'm spanish and i could translate FlashFXP into spanish without problems, if the translation process envolves working with dll's i couldn't do it... i lack of programming knowledge...

If there will localized versions of FlashFXP translated into the most spoken languages (french, german, chinese, spanish...) i think that FlashFXP could reach at many many people .

Well, it's only a suggestion and again sorry if this thread has already been discused.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:16 PM   #2
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

This is on our list of things to do, it's such a huge undertaking we are still trying to come up with what would be the best way to implement it. FlashFXP contains alot of text =)
Old 01-08-2002, 05:08 AM   #3
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Ok, thanks for the reply
Old 01-08-2002, 01:18 PM   #4
MxxCon
Super Duper
FlashFXP Beta Tester

and with translation to differnt languages also comes problem of user support...
if user doesn't know english well enough to use FlashFXP and he'll come here or email looking for support chances are it'll be very hard for that user to explain in english what his problem is...
Old 01-08-2002, 05:09 PM   #5
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

Though, that can be resolved easily, by tapping into the resources we have right here. We could make separate forums, and if special things need eg. Charlie's attention, others can translate and relay the info.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:13 AM   #6
JensB

Default Swedish

I can translate it to swedish , np ... aslong as its in textformat and not dll
Old 01-11-2002, 09:08 AM   #7
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

JensB, we'd also need forum-wise support. Call it long-term investment.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:20 AM   #8
JensB

Default welll ...

Well since all swedes read english in school ....

and most swedes are actually real good at it .... especially those who irc ...

.... and I´m online 24/7 ....

I think I´ll survive the odd swedish language question translation
Old 01-11-2002, 10:17 AM   #9
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

"and with translation to differnt languages also comes problem of user support...
if user doesn't know english well enough to use FlashFXP and he'll come here or email looking for support chances are it'll be very hard for that user to explain in english what his problem is..."

-----------

Well, i think that the future translations os FlashFXP could be considered for the people that will use it only as - extras - of the main program.

The fact that a program (like FlashFXP) could have translations into another languages doesn't mean that the customer support must be also in all the translated languages. If FlashFXP was inicially, and is actually, coded into english language and give customer support in english i think that must keep this language in the replies and announcements of this forum, in spite of the translations will be available.

For example, mIRC (the most used and famous IRC client for Windows) has been translated to many, many languages, and parts of its web site has been translated to 44 languages. Do you think that the author of mIRC give customer support into 44 languages?
Old 01-11-2002, 11:40 AM   #10
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

Actually. I know for a fact that the mIRC author give no customer support whatsoever, he's quite the stuckup, snot-nosed person. But I digress.. The point was that if we were to have localized versions of this program, we'd also have to expect that some people that find themselves here is less than proficient in English and would prefer localized support.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:11 PM   #11
DYN_DaTa
FlashFXP Scripter

Well, it's true, mIRC official forum is mainly maintained by other persons instead of Khaled...

My idea about localized versions of FlashFXP is that the person that download (or buy) a localized version of FlashFXP must have the sufficient knowledge of english to be able to post in english in this forum. Of course, to have a section (in this forum) in the language of each translated version of FlashFXP will be perfect but i think that this will cause too much work.

This is also applicable to localized customer support by email... think about this: if FlashFXP will be available in (for example) 6 languages the customer support by mail must be in these languages too.

It's more easy (and efficient in my opinion) keep the customer support by email only in english, dispite the future translations, and maybe (if it's really necessary) think about in localized sections in this forum. But of course you have the last word
Old 01-11-2002, 12:28 PM   #12
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

Well, I agree that the bulk of all the people that find themselves here and/or is able to download software from a web-page (although that web-page can infact be a 3rd-party page and localized..) is able to use English. Still, we have already seen examples where people certainly could have been better off with some localized support. Personally, I don't think it will be a big problem to offer localized support, even by email, for localized versions that get extensive usage. All it takes is some dedicated people. On the other hand, such localized versions might not be in that high a demand anyhow, so we might simply be discussing the proverbial storm in the water-glass.
Old 07-27-2002, 04:02 PM   #13
dOdIkA

Post Speaking from experience

"and with translation to differnt languages also comes problem of user support...
if user doesn't know english well enough to use FlashFXP and he'll come here or email looking for support chances are it'll be very hard for that user to explain in english what his problem is..."

I am gonna tell you that my experience is that if the user knows the translator's name and e-mail address (e.g. from the language file or from the website, he/she contacts the translator to help in solving the problem.
By the end of the localization the translator will know the program from alpha to omega, because he has to test it, and when a problem occurs he can provide support for the user. This way the developers may have less work in the support By chance, the translation of the help file also would be advisable.
Anyway the users are very grateful for the localization, so I think they would appreciate the languages sooner.
From the business aspect a well prepared affiliate program would facilitate the sales for the non-English-speaking users.
Old 07-27-2002, 04:10 PM   #14
dOdIkA

Exclamation Another localization proposal

I'd like to offer my support in completing the Hungarian translation of FlashFXP when it will be due. My opinion is, the information technology is for everyone, for those also, who do not speak foreign languages.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:35 AM   #15
yoshika
FlashFXP Registered User

Can we translation the chinese_traditional_taiwan language

Tags
flashfxp, languages, spanish, translate, translation