Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 10-07-2002, 08:01 PM   #1
lemonman

Default Multi Idle Commands

Some sites are smart and still kill your connection after receiving the same idle command over and over.

Maybe flash could have a multi idle command feature in the next or up coming versions?

For example 40secs issue the noop command then at 60sec issuse the refresh or list -al command a total of 1min giving two commands.

Another nice feature to have also is letting users type in what idle command(s) to issue instead of the limited ones by default.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:19 AM   #2
ND-
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Don't be lame.
Watch your connection. No point in being connected if you're not going to use it.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:57 PM   #3
lemonman

So flashfxp should get rid of the anti idle feature altogether then? its there for a reason obviously.

Not everybody uses flashfxp to your settings, preference, tasks, etc. more features equal more flexibility which make flashfxp a even more better ftp client than it is
Old 10-08-2002, 05:31 PM   #4
ND-
FlashFXP Beta Tester

If a server has an idle set, it doesn't want you on it if you exceed that idle. You should respect the rules of the site you're on, and pay attention to your ffxp's instead of finding ways around the rules.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:40 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Let me put an end to this.. There are no plans to randomize the commands, If LIST doesn't work (in most cases it does) then it's unlikely that randomizing commands is going to do any better.

This has become a cat & mouse game between ftp clients and ftp servers. Sadly as a result I believe ftp servers have much more strict idle detection which in my opinion is a bad thing, some ftp servers (I wont mention any names) will idle timeout during basic ftp navigation.. i.e. changing from one folder to another.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:27 PM   #6
Katana_AC

Default A different take

I agree with part of this discussion, but I would like to use the anti idle command to send "site who" to my server in order to keep an eye on what is going on there, not to evade an idle kick. In essence, I am asking for either an editable list for anti idle commands, or allowing me to type in the command that I want sent.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:12 AM   #7
ND-
FlashFXP Beta Tester

Katana_AC:
If you're going to send "site who" to keep an eye on the site... you should have enough access to be able to remove your own idle time on the site. There's no proper reason to keep an eye on a site like that if you don't admin it.

lemonman:
I find very little use of the idle command actually.
As I said before, if you're not around to actually use the connection and must use anti-idle to stay on... what's the point? Sounds like you're on some kind of public ftp, and in that case there are others that are around that could use "your" slot better.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:02 PM   #8
darkone
Disabled
FlashFXP Registered User
ioFTPD Administrator

Yes. Idle check + NOOP were orignially implemented to FTP protocol as method for a server to determinate wheter connection is stalled. NOOP stands for No Operation - and as one might guess, it uses very little server resources when executed. Nowdays clients are using commands such as LIST for 'noopping', which consumes enormous amount of server resources for NOTHING - and goal is what?

Servers that want users to be able to idle longer, may set their idle timeout accordingly. It's not up to client to decide, for how long they are allowed to be connected. My suggestion is: remove all but NOOP command from that list - as it's not a feature, but protocol violation
Old 09-13-2003, 12:17 PM   #9
phoenixfr

thinking the same as dark0ne
Old 09-15-2003, 06:14 AM   #10
Katana_AC

I do have enough rights to remove my idle time, however, just setting myself so that I do not "idle out" does not give me information about who is doing what on my site. I therefore have to manually send "site who" to my site so that I can determine this. I suppose that "idle commands" may not be the ideal place to either request this, or impliment this, but it is regardless, something that I would find useful.

Thanks for the replies though!!!

Tags
command, commands, feature, idle, issue