Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

Suggestions Post suggestions for upcoming versions

Old 11-17-2001, 10:16 AM   #1
fredo

Question dynamic ident...

Would it be possible to support dynamic ident ? What I mean is that you can set the ident like you set login name. So for different ftp sites you would be able to use different ident ?

What you think?

-fredo
Old 11-20-2001, 07:45 PM   #2
djkast

Hey, Just wondering why in the world, you have separate idents on some sites, I can see different IP's, but you should always always submit the same ident. I don't think a feature like this is worth it. Just keep the same ident

Old 11-21-2001, 02:27 AM   #3
fredo

Smile I wouldn't ask if...

I wouldn't want to use it. Thx for the reaction.

Cheers.

-fredo
Old 11-21-2001, 03:35 AM   #4
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

fredo, that's a given. What he was asking you to do, was try to justify the need for miltiple idents. If you can't, there's obviously no real reason for it and no need to spend time on it. Oh, yea, it's kewl, but so's my home-cinema.
Old 11-21-2001, 06:21 AM   #5
fredo

Default Sorry...

for being annoying. I'm a registered user sinds few years now and it's first time I posted here... won't do it again.

Thx.

-fredo
Old 11-21-2001, 06:36 AM   #6
Fusion
FlashFXP Beta Tester
ioFTPD Registered User

Default Re: Sorry...

Quote:
Originally posted by fredo
for being annoying. I'm a registered user sinds few years now and it's first time I posted here... won't do it again.

Thx.

-fredo
That's your call. I was just asking that you clarify the need a bit more. If I rubbed you the wrong way by referring to my home-cinema, it's because the 'kewlness'-factor is all the use I see in having multiple idents. If you feel more at ease by mailing your suggestion, the support-people can be reached here.
Old 11-27-2001, 05:50 AM   #7
Dogmeat

I could use such a feature. I don't use the same ident at all my sites. Some are unique for group affiliations, some for other purposes. Sometimes I use a proxy, sometimes I don't.

Because of dynamic IPs, idents are often used to identify the user in addition to logins.
Old 11-27-2001, 05:54 AM   #8
fredo

Talking thx

-fredo
Old 11-27-2001, 06:20 AM   #9
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

It might help if you actually search the forums before posting, this had already been covered in another thread.

see the following
http://www.flashfxp.org/~forum/showt...p?threadid=137
Old 11-27-2001, 02:08 PM   #10
Dogmeat

Probably should close this one then.

And probably no identd server out there that you can tie to a particular FlashFXP session i.e. you won't be able to run more than one FlashFXP. And in that case, you might as well just use FlashFXP and edit the ident settings each time. A pain to be true but necessary since you don't intend to support multiple idents.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:29 AM   #11
fredo

Lightbulb Might be...

a good time to think about a new design for v1.5 ? Multi-threading? And I don't see what can be so "dangerous" about having a FlashFXP with a ident server that takes a value for each threat that's launched... talking about threads, I'm sure ppl already proposed the same for downloading... by now most ppl will have installed win2k or winXP, so a design based on threads might become a valid options...

-fredo.

ps. in the end nothing is perfect, and yes I do like FlashFXP a lot...
Old 11-28-2001, 05:14 AM   #12
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Default Re: Might be...

It has nothing to do with threading.

The problem arises from running multiple copies of FlashFXP at the same time, Only one copy of FlashFXP can bind to the ident port at any given time, ports can not be shared in windows.

So if multiple copies are connecting the wrong ident may be sent.

The same problem can arise if both sides are connecting at the same time, we could check the IP of the ident request and try to match it to the ftp server but depending on ftp server configuration this ip might differ.

The question is not whether we can support multiple idents, but rather can we do it reliably and the answer is no.

Tags
dynamic, fredo, ident, set, sites