Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 05-30-2002, 11:34 PM   #1
Hawk92_2

Question REQ: clarification on binding to an IP

Just looking for clarification on the Firewall setting bind local ports to this IP, wan't sure after reading the help on how to set this.

I am behind a linksys router so do I bind to the IP of the client ie 192.168.1.xxx or do I bind to the external (ISP) IP of the router ie 24.85.xxx.xxx?

Additional question? if anyone knows how to stop flashfxp from disconnecting and reconnecting after each file in the queue. I am using PASV with a local port range set and those ports forwarded on the router to the client machine.

hawk92
hawk92@devilsown.net
Old 05-31-2002, 12:24 AM   #2
Linkster
Administrator

you bind to the external ip address on the router. if its dynamic, you might want to install one of those programs that gives you a domain and updates the ip automatically. this way you never have to change that value.
Old 05-31-2002, 03:51 AM   #3
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

Which model linksys router do you have? I am curious because I have one too and it doesn't disconnect me after every transfer.

The correct procedure is as followed.

Bind to IP is intended for non-passive mode transfers (active mode). In order for this to work correctly you will need to set your machine in DMZ mode or configure port forward a range (i.e. 9000 to 9005) of ports on the router.

If you setup port forwarding on a range of ports then you'll need to match this range (i.e. 9000 to 9005) in FlashFXP.

It is ideal to limit this range to 5 ports per instance of FlashFXP, so if you often run two copies of FlashFXP at once you would use 9000 to 9010.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:52 PM   #4
Hawk92_2

Cool

Thanks for the info - I didn't realize that the bind to IP was for non-passive mode

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 and it is set up as per you note I have a range of ports forwarded and these mach the passive range in flashfxp.

I have actually just switched to using the port triggering feature in the linksys firmware and triggering off 1024-65534 from flashfxp.exe.
This seems to work kick ass - I can now fxp through the router with flashfxp which I could never get to work before.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:08 PM   #5
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer
FlashFXP Administrator
ioFTPD Beta Tester

I have the same model linksys router.

I have never messed with the port triggering, ironically I don't have any ftp sites that allow FXP so I can't try that, but that's great, keep us updated on how well it works.

Tags
bind, clarification, client, router, set