Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > > > >

General Discuss anything and everything related to FlashFXP

Old 07-06-2002, 01:11 AM   #16
Linkster
Administrator

once again, i disagree with you bjay125. when you place an order for flashfxp, your ip is logged, and even personal information like name is taken. when liveupdate is run (again this happens only if you have registered flashfxp), your ip is of course logged (standard for any web site) and a hash of your key is sent to validate. No other information is ever sent. the term "phoning home" is synonymous with the very illegal practices that Blizzard was attacked for and had to stop. Actually sending extra information about you and your computer (that was not ever volunteered) to their systems. So i DON'T like FlashFXP being labeled as phoning home when it only sends a single piece of information that we generated in the first place and that is useless to anyone packet snooping. The ONLY people that complain about these things are those that continue to use pirated copies, and who in my opinion (because of violating a license agreement) have also lost any privelege of privacy. If it were up to me, i would post every single ip address that has tried to liveupdate with a verified pirated code (there are tens of thousands of them too).
Old 07-07-2002, 05:22 AM   #17
Jesper

FlaxhFXP version 2 may send your sites.dat to spa.org (anti-warez group) - http://forum.flashfxp.com/showthread.php?threadid=1076 (or does it?, it's your call.).

Well Ill take this as being waaaaaaaaaaayyy out of proportions?? right ??
I got it from an 3rd party source, who got it from a 4th and so on and so on

And about the privacy, wheater FFXP calls home or NOT,
Its a matter of how you expresses it.
How can some be offended, by FFXP sends a few data home to make sure youre 100% updated?
Along as it just sends IP, name and key, and verison number, its all fine.
Did those people ever try windows update or any other liveupdate app ?? they would prolly have noticed that all Liveupdaters works the same way.

As for illegal copies of FFXP, why even bother, the program is very cheap and 100% worth the price.

If this is just false rumours spread by warez freaks that just cant make proper cracks, or other FTP developers, that cant compare with FFXP, then there is only 2 things to say
1: Bigstar ROCK ON
2: FlashFXP beats them all

ps guys youre IP is also logged when you posts on the MSGBoard
Old 07-08-2002, 02:01 AM   #18
TSx

There is nothing in the licence agreement that says flash fxp may take your sites.dat file & send it "home" if it did do that & the user didint know about it CEDSoft would be sued to hell.

They know it & all of you should know it

ITS JUST A RUMOR!!!!!

1 Question thou

Quote:
who in my opinion (because of violating a license agreement) have also lost any privelege of privacy.
Since when is privacy a privlege?
Old 07-08-2002, 04:03 AM   #19
blackwar

Quote:
Originally posted by TSx

Since when is privacy a privlege?
hehe, good point
privacy is a right my friends

Blackwar
Old 07-08-2002, 05:25 AM   #20
Dutchman

well let's put my word in too...

first of all

crackers and hackers they ain't gonna do this what you call "phoning home"for them just cause they kniow there will be cracks available always for every program that is released and ain't a little game...
I mean they will now just put a crack on it so that It isn't gonna call home you put in the registration of an invalid user than it will try to connect ohwohw it can't cause it's cracked...

But I think they do need a protection cause come on this program will be used too download from illegal pages and will be used to upload to pubs and this kind of illegal things so they need a good protection otherwise 10000 will use the program and 10 users are registered...

and well I don't think they will send information to an anti warez group otherwise they will get for court cause it's simply taking others privacy and that's illegal but they can validate keys and let there program work wrong if there's an illegal key and I think that's there right of every maker nobody wants to make a program just to let it be cracked...

and for some stupid people here NO i don't read entire user agreements and so on.... come on for every program I install I read the entire agreement? Noppe sorry...

I think if they put this kind of safety control in there software they should tell every user and not in the useragreement but everywhere... an apart scheme just before you install it or something...

Greetz Dutchman
Old 07-08-2002, 06:19 AM   #21
floris
FlashFXP Registered User

Privacy a policy ? a right ? a priveledge ?

The matter of the fact is, you do not wish to have the mailman read your personal mail, just to see if it is appropiate for your kids to read, before putting it in your mail box. The matter of the fact is, I am alright with him checking where it is from and where it is for. So he can make the appropiate decision. This goes for negotiation between the client and the server, which is the case here. The program needs to validate a key and/or client version. It doesn't read the inside of the envoloppe, it doesn't see what you have uploaded/downloaded and/or which sites you can access. There is what the privacy is about. If you are on the internet, your host address isn't private and has nothing to do with privacy. It is a public host address.

Everybody can stop crapping about something they have no idea about and the mod should just close the thread. The information has been posted several times and even gave some extra confirmation on the case. If you don't like it, stop using it.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:22 AM   #22
Linkster
Administrator

very well said floris. thread closed

Tags
liveupdate, packet, user, version, versions